Cupramine And Live Sand

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know that people say sand and rock will soak up cupramine but it seems to be happening very quickly in my QT.

I put in the first half-dose of cupramine on weds. Tested on friday and barely got a reading at all. I did the 2nd half-dose and just tested today - maybe .25.

No carbon or anything in the tank. Could live sand/rock soak up that fast? I just put enough on the bottom to create a little digging and maybe 10pounds of live rock - in a 29biocube.

Also - is .25 even effective??? Should I try to bump it up?

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be better if you didn't use any LR or substrate in a QT/HT. Keep it bare, and use pieces of PVC pipe for hiding places.

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah - agreed. I just had to set this QT up rather quickly and didn't have much established media to use so I took 10 pounds of live rock from sump and tossed it in there (I know this will nuke that rock forever). I put the bit of live sand in there to also try and boost the bio capacity of the tank. Lots of PVC in there as well.

I don't think I can remove the rock just yet - should I just keep pumping cupramine in there until I get the level I want? How dangerous is that?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem isn't just that rock/sand absorbs copper, it also leaches it back out. It keeps going back & forth. So, you can test your Cu level in the AM and its reading 0.25ppm, but then up to .5 by evening and back down to .25 before you go to bed. :confused: You'll have better luck using a chelated copper (ex. Coppersafe) with rock/substrate because it has a wider therapeutic range (1.5-2.0ppm) to stay within.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back