Cupramine dosage for sensitive fish

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bicolor angel he’s about 5 inches and a melanarus and cleaner wrasse (blue line) who are both about 3 inches….I have read they are sensitive to copper, but I hate to be that guy but I’ve worked really hard to risk ich or velvet in my tank…. so how would you go about dosing cupramine I know it says 20 drops per 10.5 gallons first 48 hours. So if I break that down to take 7 or 8 days instead would that be better and more likely to not harm the fish since it’s so much slower? for example instead of 40 drops per 10 gallons over four days dosed twice I would do 2 drops every 12 hours for 5 days. The fish arnt sick this is just preventative, thought I finally had the qt protocol under wraps but these fish weren’t cheap and apparently sensitive to copper so I’m asking the experts haha. Any advice helps and also helpful alternatives if there is any that treats for velvet ich and gill flukes like cupramine does I’m willing to try that if it’s not outrageously expensive/hard to find.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a bicolor angel he’s about 5 inches and a melanarus and cleaner wrasse (blue line) who are both about 3 inches….I have read they are sensitive to copper, but I hate to be that guy but I’ve worked really hard to risk ich or velvet in my tank…. so how would you go about dosing cupramine I know it says 20 drops per 10.5 gallons first 48 hours. So if I break that down to take 7 or 8 days instead would that be better and more likely to not harm the fish since it’s so much slower? for example instead of 40 drops per 10 gallons over four days dosed twice I would do 2 drops every 12 hours for 5 days. The fish arnt sick this is just preventative, thought I finally had the qt protocol under wraps but these fish weren’t cheap and apparently sensitive to copper so I’m asking the experts haha. Any advice helps and also helpful alternatives if there is any that treats for velvet ich and gill flukes like cupramine does I’m willing to try that if it’s not outrageously expensive/hard to find.
Sensitive to copper they can be and I would Highly recommend using copper power or coppersafe instead . If I recall, you are in a foreign country and if cupramine is all you have, run at .5ml and opposed to drops USE A TEST KIT to determine and verify your treatment level. Being that you are in Observation rather than treatment state, dose at 80% of recommended to assure your levels of copper ds Not become elevated. Opposed to 5 days , run it for at least two - three weeks- preferable 30 days

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sensitive to copper they can be and I would Highly recommend using copper power or coppersafe instead . If I recall, you are in a foreign country and if cupramine is all you have, run at .5ml and opposed to drops USE A TEST KIT to determine and verify your treatment level. Being that you are in Observation rather than treatment state, dose at 80% of recommended to assure your levels of copper ds Not become elevated. Opposed to 5 days , run it for at least two - three weeks- preferable 30 days
Yes I have the test kit for cupramine, I was not suggesting to treat for 5 days I was saying would it be best to dose the tank slowly over 5 days instead of once and then again after 48 hours

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes I have the test kit for cupramine, I was not suggesting to treat for 5 days I was saying would it be best to dose the tank slowly over 5 days instead of once and then again after 48 hours
No - do not ramp up over 5 days- get to that level within 36 hours

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back