Cupramine to Copper Power

flfireman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a QT that is running with full dose of Cupramine at .45. I would like to switch over to Copper power since I am having a hard time maintaining the level of cupramine at .45. It seems to drop almost daily to .36. My question is can I do a complete water change and swap out the fish starting them now at full dose Copper Power or do I still need to ramp up the copper power over a number of days even though they were in full dose Cupramine? Thanks
@Humblefish

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An interesting question to which I don't know the answer. I certainly would not mix the two in any capacity. I would think test after water change to make sure no traces of Cupramine are left (I'm assuming you're using Hanna checker based on those specific numbers). Then use cuprisorb/polyfilter if need be. Intuitively I would ramp up Copper Power at a moderate rate moving forward, like over 3-5 days. Just my thoughts, but since I haven't actually encountered this scenario, let's wait to see what others think :)

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would question why your levels are decreasing? As I understand (and I am new to copper) copper should not decrease unless you remove it. It doesn't get exported any other way. You don't have carbon/polyfilter/cuprisorb right? Are you removing water for a water change? It is also possible it isn't changing. Accuracy (per Hanna) is plus/minus 0.05 ppm, which means your 0.45 could be 0.40 and your 0.36 could also be 0.40. I am not saying it isn't decreasing by any means, but I don't think it can decrease on its own?

OP
OP
flfireman1

flfireman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been too consistent in the drop to chalk it up to +/- of the tester. It may be the filter floss affecting it. Either way it doesn’t seem to affect the CopperSafe.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it's two different types of copper, vs say coppersafe to copper power, I'd personally do the waterchange and then slowly raise it. Are these fish being treated for ich/velvet or is this prophylactic? If the latter, I'd do it over a few days. If you have velvet you'd want to do it over 24-48 hours. This is pure speculation though, as I've never needed to do it.

Hopefully we'll get a more definitive answer because I'm curious myself.
@Humblefish @melypr1985 @Big G @HotRocks @4FordFamily Have any of you done this?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ I agree with @dwwataz

Two completely different types of copper, different chemicals being used. So, I would remove all of the Cupramine, and then slowly ramp up Copper Power.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ I agree with @dwwataz

Two completely different types of copper, different chemicals being used. So, I would remove all of the Cupramine, and then slowly ramp up Copper Power.

Would Cuprisorb work on both types of copper chemical to ensure the water is stripped?

Back