Cuprazin + Maracyn one

Darklad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I have yellow belly blue tang with ich + cloudy eye in my DT wich I just installed UV for it and bought QT mixed water salt for it etc
Would be it ok to use Cuprazin + Maracyn one at same time ? would I need to cycle the QT since I'm going to use antibiotic ?
Would I need to take all fishes to treat ?

Cuprazin contains:
copper sulphate
Malachite green

Thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello

I have yellow belly blue tang with ich + cloudy eye in my DT wich I just installed UV for it and bought QT mixed water salt for it etc
Would be it ok to use Cuprazin + Maracyn one at same time ? would I need to cycle the QT since I'm going to use antibiotic ?

Cuprazin contains:
copper sulphate
Malachite green

Thank you
While you are able to. . . I am always leery about mixing meds. Placing fish and quaranting in new water may heal the eye with ethromyacin. The key is to observe the eye for improvement Before using the Maracyn.
Aerate during quarantine with airstone and run the cupramine at therpuetic level .50 monitoered with a reliable test kit - No API brand and monitor ammonia levels.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Cuprazin contains:
copper sulphate
Malachite green

Thank you

I presume you are in the UK? Cuprazine isn't widely available in the US (if at all). I'm familiar with both of the medications it contains - copper and malachite green. Personally, I would never mix those two drugs at standard dosing...malachite green isn't very effective and actually can cause more toxicity issues that copper itself. I prefer to us Coppersafe, Copper Power or Cupramine, but you can't find those in the UK.

As far as mixing copper and Maracyn I, you can do that, but it is best not to mix meds if you can avoid it. Also, you should monitor the ammonia level when dosing Maracyn 1.

Jay

OP
OP
Darklad

Darklad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presume you are in the UK? Cuprazine isn't widely available in the US (if at all). I'm familiar with both of the medications it contains - copper and malachite green. Personally, I would never mix those two drugs at standard dosing...malachite green isn't very effective and actually can cause more toxicity issues that copper itself. I prefer to us Coppersafe, Copper Power or Cupramine, but you can't find those in the UK.

As far as mixing copper and Maracyn I, you can do that, but it is best not to mix meds if you can avoid it. Also, you should monitor the ammonia level when dosing Maracyn 1.

Jay
I live in Kuwait, have all here available I will go ahead and order coppersafe now .
Do I need to cycle the QT ? or it's useless since I'm going to use Maracyn 1 ?
What do you suggest, use coppersafe first to solve the ich issue on that poor guy or use Maracyn 1 to first to treat his cloudy eye ?

Do I need to take all fish out and put them in QT even if they don't show sign of infection yet ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Kuwait, have all here available I will go ahead and order coppersafe now .
Do I need to cycle the QT ? or it's useless since I'm going to use Maracyn 1 ?
What do you suggest, use coppersafe first to solve the ich issue on that poor guy or use Maracyn 1 to first to treat his cloudy eye ?

Do I need to take all fish out and put them in QT even if they don't show sign of infection yet ?

Marine ich will kill fish much faster than an eye infection will, and eye infections often heal themselves with no treatment, so I would treat with copper first. If you post a short video of the fish, I might be able to judge better...

Jay

OP
OP
Darklad

Darklad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine ich will kill fish much faster than an eye infection will, and eye infections often heal themselves with no treatment, so I would treat with copper first. If you post a short video of the fish, I might be able to judge better...

Jay
Just found out that my magnificent foxface has something appeared to be ich too to me not sure
sorry but the tank light been off for few hours so its hard to make them swim and move so I couldn't capture the eye with cloudy issue but what catched my eyes is he changed his sleeping spot !
20220704_025145[1244].jpg

Attachments

• 20220704_025400.mp4
    9.4 MB
OP
OP
Darklad

Darklad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remembered something his other eye the one with cloudy disses has some sort of white orgsim atatched to it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remembered something his other eye the one with cloudy disses has some sort of white orgsim atatched to it.
If you can see an oval flat worm on the eye, that is Neobenedenia, a type of fluke, praziquantel is needed to treat that.
The spots on the foxface look a bit large to be ich, but the hepatus seems to have it.
Jay

OP
OP
Darklad

Darklad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can see an oval flat worm on the eye, that is Neobenedenia, a type of fluke, praziquantel is needed to treat that.
The spots on the foxface look a bit large to be ich, but the hepatus seems to have it.
Jay
Lost all fishes this is the only fish that still a live, been using Coppersafe and Maracyn one for 3 days now with no luck,
I feel sorry for this poor guy.
Did 10 mins fresh water dip with Quick Dip HydroPlex and no improvement, he spend most of the time swimming on the top of the QT. Am I doing something wrong ? does he have popeye and velvet or white spot ?

Please advise :(

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 33
  • fish5.jpg
    fish5.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 44

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you lost your fish.

Can I ask why you are using Maracyn one? Isn't that for treating gram positive infections? As far as I know, gram positive infections are not very common in marine fish... most external bacterial infections in marine fish will be caused by gram negative bacteria infections. Maracyn one isn't used to treat gram negative.. that is what Maracyn Two treats, and why it is often recommended to treat with both Maracyn One and Two together. Maracyn One alone probably isn't doing much good here on it's own.

I think copper and prazi probably would have been a better option. That's what I do with all my fish. 30 days of copper and multiple prazi treatments during that time. That seems to fix 90% of most issues.

OP
OP
Darklad

Darklad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you lost your fish.

Can I ask why you are using Maracyn one? Isn't that for treating gram positive infections? As far as I know, gram positive infections are not very common in marine fish... most external bacterial infections in marine fish will be caused by gram negative bacteria infections. Maracyn one isn't used to treat gram negative.. that is what Maracyn Two treats, and why it is often recommended to treat with both Maracyn One and Two together. Maracyn One alone probably isn't doing much good here on it's own.

I think copper and prazi probably would have been a better option. That's what I do with all my fish. 30 days of copper and multiple prazi treatments during that time. That seems to fix 90% of most issues.
I have Maracyn two and Paracleanse which contains 25mg of praziquantel and 250mg metronidazole
Do you suggest to use them both along with Coppersafe and stop Maracyn one ?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Maracyn two and Paracleanse which contains 25mg of praziquantel and 250mg metronidazole
Do you suggest to use them both along with Coppersafe and stop Maracyn one ?
How long have you been at a full dose of coppersafe?
You should discontinue the Maracyn 1 for the reason stated.
I don’t think you should dose paracleanse with copper, but you can dose Prazipro or plain praziquantel with copper.
Jay

OP
OP
Darklad

Darklad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been at a full dose of coppersafe?
You should discontinue the Maracyn 1 for the reason stated.
I don’t think you should dose paracleanse with copper, but you can dose Prazipro or plain praziquantel with copper.
Jay
3 days
Prazipro is out of stock in where I live and I couldn't find plain praziquantel not sure if there is plain praziquantel for human use so I'm going to check in online pharmacies now.

Thank you so much

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 days
Prazipro is out of stock in where I live and I couldn't find plain praziquantel not sure if there is plain praziquantel for human use so I'm going to check in online pharmacies now.

Thank you so much
Coppersafe is gentle, but slow to work. Three days is the minimum time I've seen it work - 5 to 7 days is more likely.

Jay

OP
OP
Darklad

Darklad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe is gentle, but slow to work. Three days is the minimum time I've seen it work - 5 to 7 days is more likely.

Jay
I totally agree Cuprazin what I strongly believe that killed most of the fishes.

OP
OP
Darklad

Darklad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update, the eye got better but I noticed a small hole/tear in the outer layer of the eye
(please check second picture) do you think it caused by tank aggression ?or pressure ?
update fish.jpg
update 1.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update, the eye got better but I noticed a small hole/tear in the outer layer of the eye
(please check second picture) do you think it caused by tank aggression ?or pressure ?
update fish.jpg
update 1.jpg
Those sorts of ulcers are pretty common with eye injuries, it may heal or it may leave a bit of a cataract. The fish does look better though....

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back