Cuprion levels of play

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some guidance on this medication, how much wiggle room do we actually have for levels, 0.20 is therapeutic but how high or low is ok? And i just did a water change with testing of the qt and bucket to make sure the levels were matching (copper) snd after the water change my test showed 0.17 :( super frustrating and discouraged now

Thanks for any help on this

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Need some guidance on this medication, how much wiggle room do we actually have for levels, 0.20 is therapeutic but how high or low is ok? And i just did a water change with testing of the qt and bucket to make sure the levels were matching (copper) snd after the water change my test showed 0.17 :( super frustrating and discouraged now

You don’t want to be neither high or low
My personal rule is +/- 1myiyr test kit should help determine your need to add

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Depends a bit on what fish you are treating, but my range, when I used to use this was 0.18 to 0.21 ppm
Jay

OP
OP
Ljshelby

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want to be neither high or low
My personal rule is +/- 1myiyr test kit should help determine your need to add
Im using the hanna copper, im just trying to understand
Depends a bit on what fish you are treating, but my range, when I used to use this was 0.18 to 0.21 ppm
Jay
Ok, so my water change today consisted of 5g so i brought the copper level up to the same in my qt 0.21, Did the water change then tested the qt and it was at 0.17, not sure what happened there but i brought it up right away! Hoping this doesn't restart my clock

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using the hanna copper, im just trying to understand

Ok, so my water change today consisted of 5g so i brought the copper level up to the same in my qt 0.21, Did the water change then tested the qt and it was at 0.17, not sure what happened there but i brought it up right away! Hoping this doesn't restart my clock
Ionic copper will bind with calcium in freshly mixed seawater, requiring dosage adjustments. I used to test twice a day and add partial doses accordingly.
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The way I would do it - is the water you add (with yoru water change) - as the same concentration as the copper you have in your tank - then - there will be no issue

OP
OP
Ljshelby

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ionic copper will bind with calcium in freshly mixed seawater, requiring dosage adjustments. I used to test twice a day and add partial doses accordingly.
Jay
I would never have known that!! Well im glad i tested and adjusted right away, next time i may wait a full day then test the new water i made again. Thanks jay this has been a huge learning curve with loosing 18 fish but saving 8.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back