Cuprisorb Absorption and Fluctuating Copper Levels

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a previous thread, I wanted to switch from Cupramine to Copper Power. This was supposed to be the best time to do so (for the past 3 weeks) since my QT is fallow and fish is coming in the next week. I’m currently battling with an extremely slow absorption from Cuprisorb and fluctuating readings of Copper levels. So here’s what happened:
1. 7 days ago: copper level around 0.3 (single test)
2. 6 days ago: water change + new batch of cuprisorb 100mL (QT tank is 45gals)
3. 5 days ago: copper level dropped to 0.1 (single test) two
4. 2 days ago: copper level at 0.37 then 0.17 (second test taken immediately after first; first one is most likely erroneous; this was done in the morning)
5. 2 days ago: copper level at 0.23 (afternoon)
6. Yesterday: copper level at 0.09 and 0.14 (second test taken immediately after first)
7. Today: copper level at 0.17 and 0.12 (second test taken immediately after first)

it’s honestly confusing. I’m using the Hanna checker to test for copper. I don’t know why the copper level increased today despite having cuprisorb still in the system. Thoughts?

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s in the tank that could be adsorbing Cu?

Nothing that I know of, I only have filter floss, filter foams a wooden "air stone" (doesn't absorb Cu?), PVC pipes, and a wavemaker.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the expiration date on your reagents. Are you getting all the reagent into the vial?

What you could do is dose a separate volume of water with copper, so it's a known concentration. Test that a couple times, see if it fluctuates.

Kind of sounds to me like your Hanna may be malfunctioning? Also remember they have an error bar of +/- 0.05, which is in line with your last couple readings.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have filter floss
What kind of filter floss? Some absorb copper like crazy. I don't use floss, just foam filters and they don't absorb copper. The wood being porous could be absorbing copper too.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the expiration date on your reagents. Are you getting all the reagent into the vial?

What you could do is dose a separate volume of water with copper, so it's a known concentration. Test that a couple times, see if it fluctuates.

Kind of sounds to me like your Hanna may be malfunctioning? Also remember they have an error bar of +/- 0.05, which is in line with your last couple readings.

I've already checked the expiration. It's still 2-3 years away. I've tested it with my RO/DI water once and it read 0.05.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of filter floss? Some absorb copper like crazy. I don't use floss, just foam filters and they don't absorb copper. The wood being porous could be absorbing copper too.

I think we call it filter wool here. Not the poly filter, just the regular cheap ones. Should I try to take out the wooden air stone? What could be a good substitute for the wooden air stone since I usually dose Prazi Pro.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could plug the end of the airline with something and poke a bunch of holes in it with a needle.

Or stick the airline into a spare filter foam, might diffuse the bubbles a bit?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we call it filter wool here. Not the poly filter, just the regular cheap ones. Should I try to take out the wooden air stone? What could be a good substitute for the wooden air stone since I usually dose Prazi Pro.
I usually use a foam bubble filter. It does double duty as a bubbler and filtration. Soak the foam filter part in my display tank's sump 24/7 so one is always available for hospital or QT. Can also soak in BioSpira or equivalent overnight before use and then pour the liquid into the hospital/QT.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could plug the end of the airline with something and poke a bunch of holes in it with a needle.

Or stick the airline into a spare filter foam, might diffuse the bubbles a bit?
I usually use a foam bubble filter. It does double duty as a bubbler and filtration. Soak the foam filter part in my display tank's sump 24/7 so one is always available for hospital or QT. Can also soak in BioSpira or equivalent overnight before use and then pour the liquid into the hospital/QT.

Ah yes, I have the foam bubble filter. I'll use that instead. I've already removed the wooden air stone and let's see what happens. Thank you!

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so as an update, just did a water change yesterday and Cuprisorb is still in the system. I tested today and it is now 0.13-0.16 (first-second test). Does this cuprisorb seem exhausted? It doesn't seem to be exhausted so I'm still keeping it in there.
107153274_270636917549430_4831502323648284936_n.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It changes color to blue where copper has been absorbed. Works best in a high flow area like a dedicated HOB or reactor where water is forced through the material. Just as it does in a DI filter in a RODI setup. It is DI resin.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It changes color to blue where copper has been absorbed. Works best in a high flow area like a dedicated HOB or reactor where water is forced through the material. Just as it does in a DI filter in a RODI setup. It is DI resin.
dont want to hijack the thread but i was curious will cuprisorb absorb antibiotics as well or just copper and heavy metals?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont want to hijack the thread but i was curious will cuprisorb absorb antibiotics as well or just copper and heavy metals?
It would interfere with the meds performance for sure. But it would not remove them as carbon would.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I actually have a modified overhead filter, where water is trickling down from a PVC pipe rather than the usual where water is forced in one side. So, I placed it in front of my wavemaker because that's where I can force water through it. I just put it up front for the picture.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I tested once yesterday and once today.
Yesterday - 0.12
Today - 0.11

I think I'm going to test after two days to see what happens.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna Checker for Copper is very temperature sensitive which causes readings outside the advertised tolerance range.

How sensitive? And what is the ideal temperature range of the sample to be tested? I checked the manual and that the environment should be between 0-50 degrees Celsius so I don't think it's going to be a concern.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked again and it's still at 0.13. This is simply weird, for the lack of a better term.

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How sensitive? And what is the ideal temperature range of the sample to be tested? I checked the manual and that the environment should be between 0-50 degrees Celsius so I don't think it's going to be a concern.

Here is the certificate that comes with the Hanna Checker standard set for my copper checker. You can see it gives a specific range of error at 25 deg C. If my water sample sits for longer and gets cooler to room temp it will be outside the tolerances expected for the standard from Hanna. Therefore, at different temperature there is different tolerances/error in measurement. If you want to know how sensitive I suggest contacting Hanna directly. Their customer service has been good to me and been able to address specific questions.

IMG_2194 copy.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back