Cuprisorb Quarantine Tank

Indoor_Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm quarantining 2 blood orange clownfish in a 10g QT. They've made it through 14 days of cupramine, and my LFS told me to use a cuprisorb packet that treats 60g instead of doing water changes. I read that it takes 2 weeks for the cuprisorb to remove undetectable substrate leaching levels, but how long will it take to reach a level that would not affect fish or parasites? I was planning on having them sit in QT for a week without copper before transferring to my display tank. Thanks!

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your confident that your fish are ok ( personally I would go longer) you can do both. water change will lower your levels and you can use cuprisorb as well . Because it’s a 10 tank pay more attention to matching your water that you will be replacing to the same parameters as the quarantine tank water . Temp as well . I personally on a ten gallon would be careful not to change too much to fast I’m guessing 30% first the about 10%every other day keeping a eye on them . What type of substrate do you have in the tank ? Given that you have some type of substrate I’m guessing rock the only way to be sure you remove all the copper would be to test for it . If you don’t have a way to test you might call your lfs to see if they have . If not after a week of water changes and cuprisorb take the fish out and acclimate to the display tank water in another container then after acclimation I would first dip the fish in another container full of tank water to make sure your not putting copper in the reef display tank kind of like a rinse . Don’t put the quarantine substrate in the display tank . Good luck

OP
OP
I

Indoor_Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your confident that your fish are ok ( personally I would go longer) you can do both. water change will lower your levels and you can use cuprisorb as well . Because it’s a 10 tank pay more attention to matching your water that you will be replacing to the same parameters as the quarantine tank water . Temp as well . I personally on a ten gallon would be careful not to change too much to fast I’m guessing 30% first the about 10%every other day keeping a eye on them . What type of substrate do you have in the tank ? Given that you have some type of substrate I’m guessing rock the only way to be sure you remove all the copper would be to test for it . If you don’t have a way to test you might call your lfs to see if they have . If not after a week of water changes and cuprisorb take the fish out and acclimate to the display tank water in another container then after acclimation I would first dip the fish in another container full of tank water to make sure your not putting copper in the reef display tank kind of like a rinse . Don’t put the quarantine substrate in the display tank . Good luck
Thank you!

I'm pretty confident that they're okay. They're active, eating well, and I haven't seen anything suspicious. I know my LFS runs therapeutic copper levels, but when I got them, the water was bright yellow (not cloudy, seemed like some medication). Not sure what they could have been treating.

I'm new to quarantining since it took ich, velvet, and brook for me to finally grow up. I've eliminated copper with water changes twice, but had sky high nitrates during the process. This time, I added filter media and 5g from my DT and live rock from the LFS to mimic a mature tank as much as possible. I have no problem doing a rinse to be on the safe side, but do I need to do water changes for the purpose of eliminating copper and not just parameters?

I'd like to add some of the live rock to my DT after sitting in cuprisorb for a few weeks. The LFS had coral skeleton live rock which were light/cheap that I think would be a nice addition, and I have some live rock in my DT that I'd like to give to the QT. In hindsight, maybe I should have just dried the coral skeletons and used the DT live rock to begin with, but I'm hoping the copper can be entirely removed.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you need to remove the copper from the QT tank before putting the fish in the display tank? Considering you’re careful not to get QT water in the display.

I’m running my first ever QT with copper now, so this is a serious question. I never considered running cuprisorb before pulling the fish out of QT, pretty sure it’s not necessary.
Most of the fish from the LFS which often go straight into the display, have copper in the water. But I’d imagine only traces of copper get in the display from the net.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This also mentions removal of copper from the QT. Is this really necessary to remove copper from QT if copper is the only treatment when doing 30-days of copper prophylactically?

They recommend removing the copper (which can easily be done with a water change), so that you don't have 2 meds at once (copper and prazi). I have tried the two together with no issue (this in an isolation tank at an lfs that had copper that couldn't be removed and so fish were treated with copper and prazi at the same time if needed).

SLOfizz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t remove the copper and keep the fish in the tank after only 2 weeks. Ick can still be in there. Go read Humblefish for correct QT methods. If you want to pull fish, it has to go into a new clean sterile tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back