Cured live rock, is this aiptasia?

Cow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some cured live rock from the LFS and curious what came growing on it. There is a few polyp looking things that I am worried is aiptasia. There is also some small mushroom looking things as well in the center that I am curious about. Thank you for the help!

cEUPNNn.jpg

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a white light photo?

OP
OP
Cow

Cow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a white light photo, it doesn't look quite like aiptasia but I've also never had it to know any better. Majano looks like a better fit but I'm not familiar with it either.

xDh5INO.jpg

Last edited:

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. They look a little like Aiptasia and a little like Majanos. Either way, kill them or ditch the rock.

OP
OP
Cow

Cow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would injecting them with vinegar work? I only have 2 part so can't do it with Kalk.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would injecting them with vinegar work? I only have 2 part so can't do it with Kalk.

It prob would but since this is your first time your more likely make them split and spread. Remove the rock and do it in a differrent container then fill,the holes,with expoxy.

OP
OP
Cow

Cow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It prob would but since this is your first time your more likely make them split and spread. Remove the rock and do it in a differrent container then fill,the holes,with expoxy.

OK I'll yank it out immediately, how do these things spread? Do they release spores? I'm wondering if I should quarantine the rock and wait to see if anything else springs up after treating it. It's been in my sump for 4 days, hopefully it hasn't found its way into the display. There's only about 4-5 of them on the rock.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I'll yank it out immediately, how do these things spread? Do they release spores? I'm wondering if I should quarantine the rock and wait to see if anything else springs up after treating it. It's been in my sump for 4 days, hopefully it hasn't found its way into the display. There's only about 4-5 of them on the rock.

Yes they release spore and can split when threaten. Even if you used some kind of paste a small amount left in the hole is usually enough for them to grow back. I find when you kill them and cover the hole and make the rock flat they have a hard time coming back. Flat surface rock there is less area for them to spread especially with contant grazing of fish and snails. I have 4 kinds of rock and reef saver is the worst for aiptasia since there is so many holes, adding expoxy and making the rock flat has worked but I use aiptasia X every month and do the best I can but notice that if you don't cover 100% of the disk they will come back.
If you have only 5 and you can remove the rock remove it and completely cover each hole with expoxy after blasting them. This will ensure they can't regenerate. If your lucky you may have killed them all but you just have to monitor for a few months to see if they come back.

OP
OP
Cow

Cow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose to burn the majano off due to fear of spreading it from tearing the skin. The problem I'm having is as soon as I remove the rock from the water they instantly shrink in size by like 5x and I can't locate them all. Probably doesn't help I have it in a bucket instead of a clear container to get a better look. What is everyone's favorite method of extermination that prevents spores from spreading?

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose to burn the majano off due to fear of spreading it from tearing the skin. The problem I'm having is as soon as I remove the rock from the water they instantly shrink in size by like 5x and I can't locate them all. Probably doesn't help I have it in a bucket instead of a clear container to get a better look. What is everyone's favorite method of extermination that prevents spores from spreading?

They are so hard to get rid of. use aiptasia X only if you can cover the entire hole. If your going to remove the rock cover the area where the aiptasia is with epoxy. This ensures they don't spread. Aiptasia X works about 50% of the time but adding expoxy to the areas they like ensures they won't come back there

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the rock out and soak it in 50/50 unscented household bleach and ro water - take it out rinse the rock in tap water - let it dry for a month and then rock should be ok to use

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back