Curing and cycling Carbsea life rock

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have 20 pounds of marco rock in my tank. right now i have 2 pounds of live dried out rock and plan to get 5 to 10 pounds of caribsea life rock. Tank is 6.5 months old probably. How long should I cure it and cycle it? Also I put some fish food in it and took out 11 or 12 pounds of my tank rock and put it into the bucket for beneficial bacteria. Any tips

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long should I wait
My opinion is 24 hours to 48 hours because Caribsea Life Rock does not need to be cured.

If you are trying to transfer the bacteria from the old rocks to the new rocks, I suggest you put one rock at at time in the display or in groups and just swap one for one maybe once every 5 days or week until you've got them all swapped out. The way to know how long to cycle is to put ammonia in the water with the rocks and test how long it takes to turn into nitrates then nitrates.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have 20 pounds of marco rock in my tank. right now i have 2 pounds of live dried out rock and plan to get 5 to 10 pounds of caribsea life rock. Tank is 6.5 months old probably. How long should I cure it and cycle it? Also I put some fish food in it and took out 11 or 12 pounds of my tank rock and put it into the bucket for beneficial bacteria. Any tips
Can I just clarify, the marco rock is in your tank and has been cycled? But then you took about 11 or 12 pounds out and put it into a bucket already?

And 2 pounds of rock that used to be live, but you dried them out?

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dried 2 pounds of live rock out. I took 11 pounds of cycled macro and put it in a bucket. and now I put caribsea rock on it along with food and ammonia

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dried 2 pounds of live rock out. I took 11 pounds of cycled macro and put it in a bucket. and now I put caribsea rock on it along with food and ammonia
with circulation and temperature control right? if you have ammonia stick to that and leave the food out of the equation. Dose a small amount of ammonia, 2 ppm i believe, then test the next day. If zero ammonia in 24 hours you're ready to put it in the tank.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly once you dry live rock, it's not live rock. It's dead. So just call it dry rock, or more descriptively dead live rock.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't you just add the "new" rocks straight into the tank? I'm confused (not uncommon )
Some people are worried there are things in new rocks that would leach out. Especially if it's like dry rock that was previously actual live rock, which may have a lot of decomposing/decomposed organics inside that can just cause spikes in nutrients that can't be handled. That's why some people would want to 'cure' it first.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people are worried there are things in new rocks that would leach out. Especially if it's like dry rock that was previously actual live rock, which may have a lot of decomposing/decomposed organics inside that can just cause spikes in nutrients that can't be handled. That's why some people would want to 'cure' it first.
Ah ok

Back