Curing dry rock help!

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally new to this hobby....My tank was started at the beginning of June - seeded with live rock and sand/some water - from my daughter's 75 gallon. Everything has been going well, and current parameters are where they are supposed to be - no issues. BUT......I don't have enough rock - either visually, or to support the coral garden that I want to eventually grow - which is my goal. So, I purchased this: Dry Rock. and want to make sure I don't mess anything up. I've googled and read everything I could about how to cure dry rock - or if it is even necessary, but in the process, got 100 different opinions. I have it (dry rock) sitting in a 35 gallon brute - covered in water with a powerhead, and some bleach right now....but need to know what steps to take to safely add it to my tank. Currently in my tank, I have two ocellaris clowns, 1 fire shrimp, and a cuc as well as 1 beginner zoa ( can't remember its name - but it's doing great and growing like a weed), and 1 paly (also multiplying rapidly). I need to know what steps I need to take to safely add the new rock to my tank so I don't cause a mini cycle, or in anyway endanger the life of my current livestock. HELP?????

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, well if you bleached it you might as well do a muriatic/hydrochloric acud bath, it really gets in there and helps get rid of a lot of the dried on gunk.

After you decide on that, just fill the trashcan up with saltwater (it can be used water from doing water changes), and add one of the live rocks you have. Cover it and let it just cycle for a month or two. When doing water changes, feel free to use the waste water from the main tank to do a water change on the live rock tub as well. There’s all sorts of yummy nutrients to help fuel bacterial growth.

Once the rock has cycled, you can add it to your tank with minimal fear of causing a mini cycle.

Take a deep breath, you got this.

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, well if you bleached it you might as well do a muriatic/hydrochloric acud bath, it really gets in there and helps get rid of a lot of the dried on gunk.

After you decide on that, just fill the trashcan up with saltwater (it can be used water from doing water changes), and add one of the live rocks you have. Cover it and let it just cycle for a month or two. When doing water changes, feel free to use the waste water from the main tank to do a water change on the live rock tub as well. There’s all sorts of yummy nutrients to help fuel bacterial growth.

Once the rock has cycled, you can add it to your tank with minimal fear of causing a mini cycle.

Thanks! I have it in the Brute trashcan as we speak.....now the waiting begins. !

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@clhardy5 , I sincerely hope that the Brute trashcan is for saltwater and not a hydrochloric/muriatic bath. If you di the bath, do it outside, bc it foams and there’s fumes that you do not wish to inhale. I completely forgot to mention this, and that’s on me....

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rock doesn’t need to be bleached and if your tank is cycled, you can add dry rock at any time. The most it will do is leach some phosphates. Since you added bleach to the rocks already I would just set the rocks outside in the sun for two or three days and then put them in the tank and you are good to go.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

^^^that

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back