Curing dry rock then aquascaping

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have old LR from a tank from 10-ish years ago (now dry, and has been for a few years). I'm re-entering the hobby and was thinking to cure then aquascape, but aquascaping with dry rock is so much nicer (and will let me cut/glue etc). Hopefully curing will also help jumpstart the cycle too (the rock is pretty clean, but I'm sure there's stuff on it).

I live in NZ, so live rock isn't an option because it's not available.

I'm not in a hurry; this isn't my first rodeo, but I'm also not SUPER keen to have the really ugly stage of curing rock just live in a tank in my house.

How do people usually do this?
  • Cure, dry, aquascape then cycle
  • Wash, dry, aquascape, cure in tank, cycle
  • Something else?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reuse old rock as well as local honeycomb rock frequently and all I do is hose it off well. I would use some maricultured live rock or wild live rock to get sponges and other stuff that can't be stuck in a bottle. You may find Aquabiomic's article helpfull:

And here's an interesting video by BRS

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just aquascaped with dry rock and then dosed liquid bacteria daily for roughly 3 months, curing in tank. Never ran into any issues with algae or anything else other than some early stage diatoms that quickly went away.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, this is how I do it. Glue or cement dry, cure in plastic bin with heater for at least a month, add to tank.

Since you live in NZ I assume you're reasonably close to the coast. An extra step you might consider is to cure the rock in natural sea water. Same with your sand if you're doing a sand bed.

I'm across the ditch from you and have used this process many times to success both with old live rock and dry Marco and CaribSea. It's choice 'bro

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back