curing dry rock with bleach

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i bleach cure the dry rock, do i still need to do the natural curing where you put the rocks in a bin and cure it for a month?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer is no. But you could always just cycle it in a separate container for a month so it’s colonized before it goes into the display. No problems if you don’t though.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably no... but maybe yes would be my answer. Depends on the type of rock... something like pukani is very dirty. After the bleaching, maybe cure it for a week in warm water and good flow... then test for ammonia. If its releasing ammonia after a few days, then there were more organics deeper in the rock that didn't get cleaned off. But many types of rock are very clean and no problems... but I would recommend trying this if you are using pukani. I cured my pukani rock for 6 weeks and the darn stuff is still leaching phosphates... hence really nice algae issues! (But, i didn't bleach or acid wash it first)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back