Curing rock or live rock

schneidergarrettt60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I am sure this has been asked before but I am looking for advice. I am currently waiting on a 13.5 evo and wanted to start my rock to cure? I want to put my dry rock in a tote from Wal-Mart with a heater and power head. I will add bacteria to start the cycle. My questions are can I put the lid on the tote to reduce light and algae or does it need light for the cycle? Can I use a tote without having negative affects like leaking phosphates? And is this a good idea so I can just put the live rock in once my tank arrives? Would it speed up the cycle process?
Thanks

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to use a container that is food grade plastic. Most likely the tub you are talking about isn't so it might leach something into the rock. I used 44 gallon brute cans to cycle my rocks and then used it as a water holder for my RODI.

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use live rock anymore because of the who knows what that leaches out of it. Take a look at the Real Reef Dry Rock or the Caribsea dry rock, it's colored so it looks like it encrusted in coralline algae but it's man made so nothing can leach out of it. Then dump in so Dr. Tims One and Only and get your cycle going. I like to control everything that I put into my talk so I don't get any surprises, and Live Rock is just to risky for me. Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back