Curing sand after WC: how weird am I?

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I usually vacuum out a pound or two of sand from my 55 while doing a WC. It just happens as I pull up all the junk on the bottom of the tank. I’ve been taking this sand, rinsing it in freshwater and getting the clumps of organics out of it. Then I’ve been letting it cure for a few weeks in saltwater (seeding it with a bit of junk from the tank). I test NH3 and NO3 and change the water occasionally. Once the NO3 stops going up, I rinse it a final time and return it to the tank.

My basic thinking is that I’m probably never going to fully rinse all the flora and fauna out of it, so better to just let it cure.

Crazy? Pointless? Dangerous? Thoughts?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I usually vacuum out a pound or two of sand from my 55 while doing a WC. It just happens as I pull up all the junk on the bottom of the tank. I’ve been taking this sand, rinsing it in freshwater and getting the clumps of organics out of it. Then I’ve been letting it cure for a few weeks in saltwater (seeding it with a bit of junk from the tank). I test NH3 and NO3 and change the water occasionally. Once the NO3 stops going up, I rinse it a final time and return it to the tank.

My basic thinking is that I’m probably never going to fully rinse all the flora and fauna out of it, so better to just let it cure.

Crazy? Pointless? Dangerous? Thoughts?

You are not crazy - but probably way overthinking.
It seems pointless
Doesn't seem dangerous

My thoughts - take out the sand - rinse it well in a bucket and put it back in. OR better yet - use a 'Python' type device or a sand vacuum - and do all of the tank at one time. every couple months this way you dont have to take any sand out. It will keep your sand clean. (assuming you dont have a really deep sand bed - which to me (I dont like) - has no need for cleaning/vacuuming)

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not crazy - but probably way overthinking.
It seems pointless
Doesn't seem dangerous

My thoughts - take out the sand - rinse it well in a bucket and put it back in. OR better yet - use a 'Python' type device or a sand vacuum - and do all of the tank at one time. every couple months this way you dont have to take any sand out. It will keep your sand clean. (assuming you dont have a really deep sand bed - which to me (I dont like) - has no need for cleaning/vacuuming)

Exactly,

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back