Curiosity got the best of me!

DruidFanagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it started one afternoon with boredom and Craigslist. 20 gallon long tank, good price, with stand and various "stuff", lol.

I had a few tanks as a kid, but my favorite part has always been tinkering (I remember being 11 or 12 and taking a few days to the arm from a ballast, heh)

So my 20 long went through a few phases, and I came to the conclusion of "man, this just isn't enough", so I went a bought a 60 cube! Had a pretty awesome "river" tank with little herds of cory's, small gang of pictus cats and another gang of glass cats with driftwood/live plants/rock work, loved it.

Had a realization a few months later, "man, this still just isn't enough" and had been casually researching saltwater for a few weeks at this point. Then the research bug hit, and I dove in, and I mean dove in with lead boots on.

So I made the leap, and went to the LFS to buy sand, rock, and 20 gallons saltwater and was hooked as soon as I tasted the salt (almost barfed from failed siphon attempts) and felt it burn in my veins! (Through cuts and scrapes from work, that is :p)

And of course....I had a realization after putting that first damsel in (weeks later, after seeding with ammonia and monitoring)..."man, that poor damsel just doesn't have enough room"

So the next morning, I woke up and bagged all my fish/plants from the 60 cube, drove to lfs, got some credit, got more sand/rock/saltwater and spent the rest of the day breaking down/converting/resetting the cube.

We're at 7 months in at this point, and this is my first post here, so Hi Community!!

Pics are from tonight, I'll be sharing my established system, but it has been an ongoing build, as you'll see. I have both the 60 cube, and the 20 long sharing a sump. I got tired of the 20 being a pain to try and stabilize, so I utilized the extra water volume. It's a giant fuge, which is great, because fat mandarin is a buffet slayer.

Lemme hear what you guys think!

Stock list is:
2 mishap clowns
3 damsels (big solid blue/little blue with yellow tail in the 60, and a tiny neon velvet in the 20)
Spotted mandarin dragonette
Starry Blenny
Yellow tang
Cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
Red pistol shrimp
Chocolate chip seastar
5 small blue leg hermits
4 astralea snails
2 cerith snails

Corals:
Various zoas/palyzoas
GSP (don't judge, I love grassy fields :p)
Frogspawn (just got it a few days ago, I failed on a head of Aussie hammer and was scared to try euphyllia again, lol)
Duncan
Candy cane
Button
Red cap monti
And some unidentified cluster of orange polyps, I'll pic it if someone is up to the task, lol

The corals aren't at their best today, due that power was out for a few hours earlier

That's it for now! Thanks for the read :)
20180808_204635.jpeg
20180808_204820.jpeg
20180808_205212.jpeg
20180808_205101.jpeg
20180808_204904.jpeg
20180808_191421.jpeg
20180808_204909.jpeg
20180808_212643.jpeg

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Great looking tank.

A few things, damsels can be d*cks and will pick on each other and other fish. One day you may wake up with only one left. Make sure the mandarin has a ton of pods to eat otherwise he won’t last long. Lastly be ready to not keep that yellow tang for very long, he will quickly out grow that tank.

One other thing, I’m pretty sure chocolate chips are not reef safe and may eat your corals so you may want to watch out for that as well.

OP
OP
D

DruidFanagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Great looking tank.

A few things, damsels can be jerks and will pick on each other and other fish. One day you may wake up with only one left. Make sure the mandarin has a ton of pods to eat otherwise he won’t last long. Lastly be ready to not keep that yellow tang for very long, he will quickly out grow that tank.

One other thing, I’m pretty sure chocolate chips are not reef safe and may eat your corals so you may want to watch out for that as well.
Thanks! I'm still undecided as far as the damsels, I read that the yellow tales could be males? I'm thinking of breeding them and clowns in the future. I lucked out and got a bonded pair of clowns off the gate. I watched them both literally jump into the specimen container at the lfs, and they've been at each other's side ever since, lol. I'll be setting up at least 180 around January most likely, so tang will be straight, if it gets uncomfortable or stressed before then, it'll go to the lfs. Chocolate chip is definitely a coral muncher, it is in the macro (20) tank and gets fed dime sized chunks of clam every other day

Last edited by a moderator:

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm still undecided as far as the damsels, I read that the yellow tales could be males? I'm thinking of breeding them and clowns in the future. I lucked out and got a bonded pair of clowns off the gate. I watched them both literally jump into the specimen container at the lfs, and they've been at each other's side ever since, lol. I'll be setting up at least 180 around January most likely, so tang will be straight, if it gets uncomfortable or stressed before then, it'll go to the lfs. Chocolate chip is definitely a coral muncher, it is in the macro (20) tank and gets fed dime sized chunks of clam every other day
Sounds like you’ve got everything covered then! That’s awesome the clowns are a mates pair!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yessir, I don't really have any questions, or need help, just figured I'd try and start coming out of the shadows more, haha
Absolutely creep out from the shadows, we dont bite ;)

OP
OP
D

DruidFanagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll never have enough tanks, haha! I have plans for everything. It was a pretty steep learning curve(or should I say disciniplary curve), but I learned pretty quickly how every tank is different when I "tried" GFO and faced a 3 week long dino war. That was about 3 months in. I believe that's what brought me to this forum in the first place!

OP
OP
D

DruidFanagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the corals on a good day, lol. If anyone could identify the 3rd pic (small cluster of what looks like individual polyps, something encrusting?) It's orange centers with red/purple fringe. Nothing impressive here, as I never even planned to keep corals, but I got a free one from lfs, and dude got me hooked. But I figure this is the start of a lifetime collection, so there's no need for a rush :)
20180809_162214.jpeg
20180809_162111.jpeg
20180809_162019.jpeg
20180809_161743.jpeg

OP
OP
D

DruidFanagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a 6 line, and I did not know they did the mucus cocoons, so I poked it with a stick the first morning(forceps, and I'm human, ok? :p) and may have scared it do death. So I deemed myself unworthy of wrasses, lol. My girlfriend picked out and absolutely loves the starry Blenny. I like diamond gobies, but I like my lid off, and I've lost 3 because I forgot to lid up at night :/ I think I'm good for stock now until I get more linear swim room

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a 6 line, and I did not know they did the mucus cocoons, so I poked it with a stick the first morning(forceps, and I'm human, ok? :p) and may have scared it do death. So I deemed myself unworthy of wrasses, lol. My girlfriend picked out and absolutely loves the starry Blenny. I like diamond gobies, but I like my lid off, and I've lost 3 because I forgot to lid up at night :/ I think I'm good for stock now until I get more linear swim room
Nice looking set up, you are worthy, some fish just have to jump. Impressed you are progressing so quickly and being careful to stock slowly. Welcome aboard.

OP
OP
D

DruidFanagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks much :) It's been progressing into a lifestyle for sure. Might wind up being the push I've needed to get that scuba card as well, hehe

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back