Curious spot on purple tang

Slatin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to see if anyone has any idea what this could be. Some background is my tank was fallow for 90+ days after an ich / velvet outbreak. Purchased all new fish from a reputable online QT service and added Friday. Woke up this morning to find this. I do have a bubble tip anemone in the tank that survived the fallow. All fish seem to be acting normal and eating normal.
0D14F6A6-8C65-4784-BD0B-D13C41C50AA4.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to see if anyone has any idea what this could be. Some background is my tank was fallow for 90+ days after an ich / velvet outbreak. Purchased all new fish from a reputable online QT service and added Friday. Woke up this morning to find this. I do have a bubble tip anemone in the tank that survived the fallow. All fish seem to be acting normal and eating normal.
0D14F6A6-8C65-4784-BD0B-D13C41C50AA4.jpeg
Do you have another tang in with it? I’ve seen spots like that from tail spine strikes.
Jay

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a similar picture. Recently my BTA went on another of his twice a year walkabouts. (Stupid nem, always brings himself right back to where he started from.;Meh) During this, my Foxface decided he wanted to be a clown fish and tried sleeping in it. Ended up with 3 similar spots. Only lasted one day.
IMG_8270.JPG

OP
OP
S

Slatin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have another tang in with it? I’ve seen spots like that from tail spine strikes.
Jay
I have a two spot and a fox face rabbit in with it. I was wondering if it could be a spine strike or maybe a stress spot.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a two spot and a fox face rabbit in with it. I was wondering if it could be a spine strike or maybe a stress spot.
I've heard of tangs getting jabbed by siganids - foxface and such. Is is rarer than tang strikes, but it does happen. The reason I'm leaning that way is the circular hole with the blanching around it pretty much cries out physical injury. The other post seems to indicate that BTA can do this also, I've not seen that, but I haven't kept many fish other than clowns in with BTA over the years....

Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back