Curious to know what difference is with Tropic Marin Pro Reef vs. Bio-Actif Sea Salt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently shopping around for new salt. I have been using Aqua Craft Bio-Sea salt mix for a little over a year now. Since I am out and looking to purchase more, I was thinking of possibly switching to Tropic Marin, since I am using the other Fauna Marin products.

A little about my tank. Not sure if it matters, but I'm running a 120gallon display tank with a 40breeder sump. Mixed Reef mainly SPS with some Acans and Zoas.
Parameters are as follows:
Salinity: 1.025-1.026
Calcium: 425
Alk: 7.9
Mag runs between 1340-1400
Phosphates: 0.001
Nitrates: between 1-2ppm

The issue I have now with my current salt, due to dosing 2 part BRS. When adding my new water, my parameters are way out of wack. (Dont judge me... LOL... I was changing my water out every 30 days and doing a 30-35 gallon water change) Any time I do a water change I then have to stop dosing for 5-10 days to get back within my parameters. I notice when this happens my SPS seem to get irritated and stop growing. As my Alkalinity uptake then slows down as well. :(

Because of this, I have all together stopped doing water changes, and dose 3% Hydrogen Peroxide and just switched over to your Fauna Marin Bakto Blend and Bakto Therapy dosing regimen. I have good growth, color isn't as good as I would like to see in my SPS though. Thinking this is due to still working on getting my nutrients up.

Any insight on Salt Suggestions and water change regimen changes are welcomed.
Thank you,

ReefRocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've tracked down the stability issues with the BRS 2-part, why not switch and use the Balling Light Method? I've found it to be a cleaner solution and easier to maintain my Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium levels. Depending on where you're located, you can try Fauna Marin Professional Sea Salt. I've heard many positive reviews on this product, especially with the mixing consistency. We don't have access to this salt yet in the USA, but anywhere else, you should be able to get your hands on it.

OP
OP
bhuyett

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the USA as well. But have a local shop that sells the Tropic Marin Pro. I'm just trying to find out which is more in line with my parameters. Otherwise I'm still going to have these ups and downs in getting my dosing back in line after ever water change.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bhuyett Let me just start off by making sure you understand that there is no connection between Fauna Marine and Tropic Marin.

To answer your questions, the Tropic Marin Pro-REEF salt will have almost exactly the parameters of your tank with the exception of the alkalinity being about .5 dKh lower.

In relation to your coral coloration, this is often due to trace element depletion. If you can find Tropic Marin Pro-Coral K+ and Tropic Marin Pro-Coral A-, they might help them color up a bit.

Lastly, if you have more questions, I am always available to speak by phone. Just call the Tropic Marin USA office at 413-367-0101

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bhuyett I realized that I didn't respond to your question in the title of the thread....The Tropic Marin Bio-ACTIF System salt only differs from the Tropic Marin Pro-REEF salt in two ways
1) the alkalinity of the Bio-ACTIF System salt is about 1 dKh higher than the Tropic Marin Pro-REEF
2) The Tropic Marin Bio-ACTIF System salt ALSO already includes a small amount of the same carbon dosing compounds found in our Reef ACTIF product.

Otherwise, these two salt versions are exactly the same!

OP
OP
bhuyett

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lou for your assistance, and I wasn't even aware that they weren't connected. Sorry for my confusion!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back