Curious why so many people recommend h202

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see many recommendations that people add hydrogen peroxide to their tank for various issues. It usually seems this does nothing for them. Why are people doing this? I would never put this in my tanks. Most h202 contains tin

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is an overrated "miracle" that relies on acting like a placebo
I’d imagine a few people that do this and then things naturally cleared up as they usually do, then attributing it to h202.
Saw a thread where a bunch of people had tin in the icp test, blamed on the RO membrane. Maybe, but wonder if they did the h202 thing

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its mainly used for battles with algae. In the reef , hydrogen peroxide when applied directly to an algae breaks it down killing the algae off. If you watch hydrogen peroxide being applied you can see the release of bubble, Which is the hydrogen peroxide reacting with the algae. Also, peroxide will help control fungus that may be growing as well as certain bacteria.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its mainly used for battles with algae. In the reef , hydrogen peroxide when applied directly to an algae breaks it down killing the algae off. If you watch hydrogen peroxide being applied you can see the release of bubble, Which is the hydrogen peroxide reacting with the algae. Also, peroxide will help control fungus that may be growing as well as certain bacteria.
I have minor algae here or there. Not enough for me to worry over. However I thought of using this method. What's the proper dose and side effects if any?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d imagine a few people that do this and then things naturally cleared up as they usually do, then attributing it to h202.
Saw a thread where a bunch of people had tin in the icp test, blamed on the RO membrane. Maybe, but wonder if they did the h202 thing

"I’d imagine a few people that do this and then things naturally cleared up as they usually do, then attributing it to h202."

+++++++++1 million

This is the most common mistake made in this hobby and the most common mistake shared in this hobby across all types of products.

I also dislike that hydrogen peroxide doesn't care what it kills or damages.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the h2o2 was made with distilled water instead of purified then it’s safe to use on the tank. It’s oxygen dosing. Shouldn’t have any fillers. I’m not a avid h2o2 doser but I know humblefish has used it on his fish and I’ve used it on algae once before. It helped my case but was not a permanent solution.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I’d imagine a few people that do this and then things naturally cleared up as they usually do, then attributing it to h202."

+++++++++1 million

This is the most common mistake made in this hobby and the most common mistake shared in this hobby across all types of products.

I also dislike that hydrogen peroxide doesn't care what it kills or damages.
This. I just think it’s bad advice to recommend this stuff to people who don’t know better. To
vetteguys point, I think removing rock and directly dosing it to algae is somewhat safer - but I still see better methods than this. I personally don’t mind algae. Even the bad ones can be outcompeted with other algae’s, just gotta find the right combo.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have minor algae here or there. Not enough for me to worry over. However I thought of using this method. What's the proper dose and side effects if any?
@vetteguy53081 can help you there, he gave me a step by step to clear algae from my display. Took only a few days but without addressing the underlying issue my algae came back soon after. Like Dolphin has mentioned, the real trick with algae is to get another one to out compete

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 can help you there, he gave me a step by step to clear algae from my display. Took only a few days but without addressing the underlying issue my algae came back soon after. Like Dolphin has mentioned, the real trick with algae is to get another one to out compete
I've gotten everything else in order. Just very minor algae here or there.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Using a pipette, apply directly to algae and you will see it fizz.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used peroxide at insane doses and not found it does anything vs algae. If my ozone generator run for 24 hours straight won't touch nuisance algae neither will peroxide given both work on the same principle- oxidation.

Peroxide does work brutally well as a topical treatment for algae if you let it sit for 5 minutes. It might aggravate corals but doesn't seem to harm them. Even that dense turf algae that came from the planet Krypton turns white.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see many recommendations that people add hydrogen peroxide to their tank for various issues. It usually seems this does nothing for them. Why are people doing this? I would never put this in my tanks. Most h202 contains tin
You can source food grade h202, which is tank safe. Some use it for the same reason as ozone; To oxidize some of the yellowing organic compounds that discolor tank water.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2o2 dips have worked great for me. Did the 1ml per 10 gal for pest algae - not sure if that helped or not. But it’s great do dip corals with algae on them.

I have 5 tanks- and all were bought as neglected break downs. H2o2 made the job a million times easier when it comes to dipping corals for algae before then go into the tank.

I use tank water- add h202 until I see fizz. Give it 5 min. Hit it with a makeup brush to get anything loose off. And put it back in the tank. Next day: wala! Clean corals!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use H2O2?

Bc Billy May's said so from the grave

"The power of Oxi"
BILLY_MAYS.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back