Curiuos about who subscribes to the " Never touch the Sand Bed theory"

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at my local fish store other day and was surprised to hear them draw a hard line in the sand with one of their customers to "No matter what, never touch your sand bed" How many of you hear subscribe to that rule and does it only apply to deep sand beds, or does this rule apply to 1" & 2" deep sand beds.
I myself 100% completely gravel vacuum my sand bed on every 300 gallon 6 month water change i do.
Photo just for fun !!!

IMG_1665.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't touch my sand bed. Not anymore. I tried to vacuum it once, but being oolite that was just an unmitigated disaster that resulted in a lot of time spent for zero results. So now I just let the army of sea critters sift through and clean it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who ascribes to the notion: people with no moves coming up, who are currently not invaded and running the upside of the bell curve thinking there isn’t a curve down, ever, lol like the 90s promised us.

who doesn’t ascribe:
my buddies for fifty pages

post that thread link on the lfs’s Facebook page pls, then link that link here so we can watch their reaction live time

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what we found over time was that ideal sandbeds are lucked into about 10% of the time at five years of age, any given system.

the vast majority needs a handling plan that won't kill the tank, prepare for actual work due is the best advice.

if someone can attain the hands off balance, that's exceptionally great. dont let your tank wreck, guide it by work if you can't luck into it.

Last edited:

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 year old deep sand bed in a 6’ tank here. I do vacuum the top inch in spots every once in a while, when/if i see clean up crew havent moved and exposed white sand. Never a deep or total clean, just touch spots that need to roll around.
Never had a crash or serious nutrient issues. No extreme sand sifter either. Just cerith, conch and cucumbers to sift around the top.
Have a mixed reef, even with happy acro.
Will be horrifying to take down and move though....

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the camp of buying critters to keep it clean. I was very surprised when I had to tear my tank down(new floors), and basically did a rip clean like @brandon429 is always preaching about, the sheer amount of peanut, bristle, and medusa worms that were in my sanbed when I rinsed the snot out of it.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Never have I ever cleaned the sand, the glass needs help tho lol
that anemone is like “look at my butt!”

but on a more serious note: i haven’t done a WC or cleaned my sand in my 40b. the worst i’ve had was some cyano in my sump that i corrected. some GHA here and there but very small amounts i can pluck out…

my real issue is hydroids… taking over my zoa rock.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at my local fish store other day and was surprised to hear them draw a hard line in the sand with one of their customers to "No matter what, never touch your sand bed" How many of you hear subscribe to that rule and does it only apply to deep sand beds, or does this rule apply to 1" & 2" deep sand beds.
I myself 100% completely gravel vacuum my sand bed on every 300 gallon 6 month water change i do.
Photo just for fun !!!

IMG_1665.jpeg
in my previous tank I used to vacuum my sand consistently , after it getting more mature ( about 2 years ) I stopped doing so since I had more and more critters that would be happy to consume all the waste that is in the sand bed .
Basically I stopped because I didn't need to anymore

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never touch the sandbed but mines alot deeper than most at least 3" (prob deeper) with a mix of substrates (cc and diff sands). Never touch the sandbed is a good rule for dsb.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend also used to then someone talked her into cleaning it after 5 years wiped her tank and it never recovered she eventually sold the tank and no longer has one very sad it was a 250 with 10000s if zoas only volonys the size of dinnerplates

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a sand sifing starfish for tje 55 gallon deep sand beed I used to clean my 125 display after it ran thew a 55 macro algie tank a 55 cryptic tank and then a 55 equipment tank with 4 red mangroves over 2 feet tall each had multiple branches then the 55 dsb with a splash system to simulate the shore line

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have a 32 led biocube bare bottom

Kid feed old tank a bottle of chili powder when he was 2 very bad day as tank was 10 years old and 100 percent self sustaining I added base line food and freshwater

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 100 percent water change 1 time per year to completely refresh the hydrogen molecules sound odd and like it does not do anything or is real but it is o2 is changed via oxygenation but the hydrogen is not so must be refreshed otherwise the water can become unstable

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back