Current state of MASOV?

uglyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is happening with MASOV?

We have a new committee but no posts or talk at all?

mrreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got booted from the FB moderator team. Didn't even get an acknowledgement email or any form of communication for my last membership payment. So I ask the same question.. what is happening to MASOV?

Synodontis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All FB moderators where removed, not "booted" but your choice of words comes across as you intended it to.
With the state the MASOV FB page was in with every Tom Dick Harry backyard seller interstate LFS & over sea's LFS posting whatever they wanted while our own LFS where forgotten about. FB moderators?? There was no moderation at all so the President & Treasurer were left to moderate. The current page is the same.
I gave you the MASOV banking details on the 4th March on messenger, you made the transfer on the 1st April which came through on the 3rd April. After being a MASOV member for a number of years, have you ever had conformation that your fee was received? other then the first time you filled out the membership form when first joining. To my knowledge if you had access to the MASOV area on RTAW & now R2R you where a financial member. My apologies for not acknowledging recipient of your payment. I'm sure the current treasurer will act on your comments in the future.
Hope that address's your comments, feel free to add more

mrreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... second post on R2R wit honest feedback and this is the response. Not something I expected from you Ken.

Booted/Removed same thing. It's an online term for getting kicked out. Fact is I was "removed" without even being approached.

Yes I did used to get a 'Thanks for your payment' or 'We received the payment'. In fact back in the day I used to get a nice laminated card in the mail with my membership number on it and I could use that in stores to verify my membership.

Anyway, not a personal attack just giving some positive criticism. Hope it helps the current treasure too :)

Synodontis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no longer president or on any committee so being politically correct is now no longer a concern to me. I can give my personal views on how I see things, I'm a pretty blunt person in reality & facts are facts.

Exactly, your 2nd post in how long? Get in here & become part of the community mate :) Nothing is happening with MASOV unless people become involved & post.

Everyone has to remember, last years President & committee ^ the current President / committee took over from some of the the longest serving committee members, definitely the longest serving President & treasurer that held MASOV together for 10 years. Many of the small things that happened behind the scenes may not have been carried over / passed on & the only way that is going to happen is by talking about it.

Our thoughts differ on booted / removed. Yes I did remove you from the FB mod, because there was no need to be there any longer, simple as that. No animosity directed to any of the mod's that where removed, no one was moding the page anyway.

Positive / constructive criticism should not only point out the negatives, but offer possible solutions. By pointing out only negatives in a 2 line post I read it as a complaint. There is always a solution to these problems but unless people are posting & discussing they will not be resolved. Raise your concerns in the private area as I'm sure this is where they will be discussed by the current committee & members so things can be improved.

mrreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post count on this forum is not a reflection of my input to the reefing community.

Sure thing. Here are some suggestions:

1. Communicate - Don’t take actions without consulting the team. Whether or not your are disatisfied with their contribution.

2. Acknowledge the re-signing of members. Even with a simple ‘Thanks for the payment”. After all, they did hand over their hard earned money however small the contribution was.

My 2 line post was supposed to be a conversation starter. Looks like it worked :) Got a response within minutes because someone got offended. Uglyman has been waiting 2 weeks for a response and we wonder why the forums are no longer used...

P.s I’m no longer part of the committee either and blunt is my middle name.

AidanMary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply Shane.
Im currently in Japan so not able to access R2R as frequently as usual, Masov is still kicking but for those that didn’t attend the AGM we have decided to move from monthly meetings to every second month or 1 a quarter due to a drop in active members and interest in hosting meets.
The adoption of changing from r2r from rtaw has been slow but i believe was necessary as rtaw won’t be around forever.
I personally have tried posting a few threads to try and get interest from the masov memebers and try to post my own personal things with my own tank but overall people seem to be reluctant or dis interested in posting on here like they may have on rtaw. This includes things like tank journals, general reefing questions and generally chat.
Meetings will still be posted up as per usual on here as well as on facebook.
In regards to any issues with general administration i do apologize and as Ken mentioned i’ve come from predecessors with a lot more experience with the going’s on behind masov and i am trying to learn as i go. If there are any concerns or any suggestions from anyone im happy to listen to them and work out how we can make Masov better.
Thanks

Aidan.

mrreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Aidan.

I think I've stated this before and will do so again for this topic's sake.

Many hobbies/interests are suffering from lack of forum attendance. There's one common denominator. Facebook.

I don't know the solution for it...It was suggested we set-up the Facebook page as a group so we can have more open discussions there but that was rejected. The page doesn't seem to work either though.

Need to differentiate MASOV from the rest of the online avenues by providing a unique experience for members. Again I don't know the answer but would love to see it get back to what it used to be 5 years ago. 50-100 members, monthly meets etc..

Happy to chat. Will do my best to get down to the frag day work trip dependent.

AidanMary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree, facebook is deffinetly the preferred platform for most people these days as they cannot be bothered using forums however i think there is still value in the forum format vs facebook.

I think the best way is to try to and somehow cohesively use both platforms so we can can have the quick access and chat aspects of facebook but also have the deeper knowledge base of a forum.
I agree that we need to rethink how we run our facebook page but in saying that we don’t want it to just become another reefing facebook group like the million others out there.

This can be a topic of discussion not only on here but also at one of our meetings.
Having Masov back the way it was with lots of active members and monthly meetings would be great, we just need the participation of members to get it there and some new ideas to make sure we stay relevant.

mrreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spot on.

Again, will do my best to attend next meeting to brainstorm ideas for improvements.

Also, wanted to thank you for your neutral response and willingness to listen to my complaints/suggestions.

AidanMary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for someone who’s not on Facebook, what’s the best way to get in the loop with MASOV?

Right here on r2r, we post all our meetings and other content on the masov reef2reef page, members get access to the members only section where there is a bit more content.

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right here on r2r, we post all our meetings and other content on the masov reef2reef page, members get access to the members only section where there is a bit more content.

I’m trying to juggle things to see if I can make it to the Frag day that you’ve been discussing on another thread.

damer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so lets brainstorm a bit.

as members of MASOV or potential members, what do you want?

access to equipment? help? meetings to look at other tanks? ability to share frags? or justwarm fuzzy feeling of being in a society of like minded people?

what do you want? if we can get a list of things, then maybe something can happen.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back