Curved rim on tank (40 breeder)

aydemir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm wondering i anyone has seen this type of frame on a rimmed tank before (all sides have this same style with the gap in the middle)? I bought this 40 breeder tank used and didn't notice until I got home that all sides of the rim had this. I was under the impression that the rim of the tank supports the glass bottom, wouldn't this be counter-intuitive design? Any chance anyone knows a manufacturer that does this on their tanks (can't find the manufacturer name anywhere on the tank)?

According to previous owner it held water a month ago but I haven't personally leak tested it yet.

tank frame.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have never seen before,does the top trim match the bottom??

OP
OP
aydemir

aydemir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can support those rimmed tanks from the 4 corners only. Where did that come from?
I got it secondhand. Unfortunately can't find any evidence of who manufactured the tank. Good to know you can support it from the corners, just seems like extra work for the manufacturer to do this without any benefit so I'm pretty confused why its there

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it secondhand. Unfortunately can't find any evidence of who manufactured the tank. Good to know you can support it from the corners, just seems like extra work for the manufacturer to do this without any benefit so I'm pretty confused why its there
It’s pretty strange for sure. I have been looking all over the internet since you first posted and I can’t find any other like it. It looks like an injection molding error that made it out of the factory. I wouldn’t trust the seals.

OP
OP
aydemir

aydemir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty strange for sure. I have been looking all over the internet since you first posted and I can’t find any other like it. It looks like an injection molding error that made it out of the factory. I wouldn’t trust the seals.
if that were the case it wouldn't happen on all 4 sides would it?

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that frame is definitely not right. it's a 40b though, I would roll with it. The frame is still in one piece. People remove sections from framing all the time, typically the top frame - to stick an overflow in.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that were the case it wouldn't happen on all 4 sides
Interestingly, it wouldn’t. because of they way those are molded. Plastic pellets are melted and injected into a metal mold that gives a moment of cooling time (time depend upon type of plastic and thickness of part being produced. There is a slim margin of opportunity for a error like that but we see them on the machines I am on all of the time. Warped parts happen due to early handling and a multitude of other things.
If those are hand pulled from the mold, a worker trying to get ahead could cause that.
One way to see if it was intentional or not would be to measure it. If it is perfectly centered, there are strong odds that it was intentions. Also, inspect the underside in that area and look to see if there are marks made before the plastic cooled, maybe mushrooming or any un-uniform shapes.
Those molds have extremely tight tolerances and you will be able to see/feel an imperfection.

another thought, I cant see it getting hot enough in a garage for that to happen. But I suppose anything is possible, a few hours in a van In Texas in june could probably do that.

OP
OP
aydemir

aydemir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another example

they do this so you can quickly differentiate between terrarium and aquarium

B621078C-A51C-4A5B-9FE3-3FA2E7A2B905.png
Ah thanks this is probably it, I was either lied to or the previous owner bought it secondhand thinking it was an aquarium also. He said he had it full of water, I guess its possible. Feel like I was just lied too though. Fool me once..............

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back