Canyon08

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hello everyone! I’m pretty new to reefing (less than a year) I’ve had some ups and downs until finally I joined R2R. Best decision I’ve made thus far! All the information here is crazy and I love reading all the opinions and thoughts all you have it’s incredible. I hope to keep this going and one day maybe upgrade to a larger tank! I’ve attached a pic of my tank just to show it off :)

4B04C29B-924B-4921-AFDD-E39FF4249AB0.jpeg

Maxout
OP
Canyon08

Canyon08

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Nice aquascape, the huge arches look great! Thanks for sharing!
Glad to hear you like it! Took me a while of just moving the rock around until I found something I was happy with. I wanted to have another arch on the left side but thought it might be good to have a bit more of an open area.

Click to watch best scape method in 5 easy steps!

Jrain904

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thanks! It was a battle honestly. Lost 13+ different coral getting to where I am now. Definitely a learning curve, now I just have a bit of a diatom problem but hopefully that will correct itself in time.

IME diatoms won't grow on mature rock for long. It will cure itself in time.

OP
Canyon08

Canyon08

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
IME diatoms won't grow on mature rock for long. It will cure itself in time.
That’s what I’m hoping for. I tried to read up on it. I’m pretty sure it’s diatoms and most of everything I read said the same thing. Once the silicates are used up they should die off. Hoping that’s the case!

Maxout

Jrain904

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
That’s what I’m hoping for. I tried to read up on it. I’m pretty sure it’s diatoms and most of everything I read said the same thing. Once the silicates are used up they should die off. Hoping that’s the case!

If you check out my build you can see I just had a dino/diatom issue in my new tank and had some interesting results regarding which surfaces they grew on and which they didn't. Have a good one!

OP
Canyon08

Canyon08

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So I added my new coral. A splatter hammer a snake skin coral and a few others but one in particular a button scoly within a couple hours of being added to the tank started melting. I have no idea why this happened I added it to the sand bed and the middle started receding. So I thought maybe more light? Moved it up about 6” and that made it worse so I moved it to a shaded area and the melting seemed to have slowed. I’ve been feeding it reef roids and Red Sea ab+ every other day. I’ll get a picture soon hopefully it’ll pull through.

OP
Canyon08

Canyon08

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So I added my new coral. A splatter hammer a snake skin coral and a few others but one in particular a button scoly within a couple hours of being added to the tank started melting. I have no idea why this happened I added it to the sand bed and the middle started receding. So I thought maybe more light? Moved it up about 6” and that made it worse so I moved it to a shaded area and the melting seemed to have slowed. I’ve been feeding it reef roids and Red Sea ab+ every other day. I’ll get a picture soon hopefully it’ll pull through.
Update on the scoly. It didn’t make it. Not sure why as all over coral in my tank have been doing great. I guess you really do win some and lose some. :(

Fritz
OP
Canyon08

Canyon08

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So I decided to change out my DIY 40 gal breeder sump with a 26 trigger. I gotta say I’m loving the clean look and my closet isn’t so cramped now. Unfortunately I couldn’t fit all the sand and rock I had in the 40 gal into the new sump so I hope it doesn’t have to much of an impact on my biological filter.

Attachments

• A28177CD-EA58-4926-B00B-369A3AFF61CA.jpeg
    A28177CD-EA58-4926-B00B-369A3AFF61CA.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 10

Speaking of your latest coral purchase...

• It was a GREAT deal

Votes: 82 36.8%
  • It was a good deal

Votes: 68 30.5%
  • It was nether good nor bad

Votes: 55 24.7%
  • It was a bad deal

Votes: 15 6.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.3%
Reef Diaper