Custom AIO

sante21079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of having a custom AIO built for my sons room. I am anti cords or powerheads in the display and have been racking my brain on how to accomplish this and keep adequate flow. It will be a mixed reef (softies, lps and a montipora or two). At first I thought about a mp10 with a dry box in the back.... Then I thought about a closed loop and rfg’s..... I came across a thread on nanoreef.com, that I think has my answer. What drawbacks do you see with the design of this (this is not my diagram, but i like it). Should I use a dc pump over the eheim? Also, I won’t be using that skimmer, and might go skimmerless.

69BB0146-29CF-45A7-92A7-D99979874494.jpeg

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are having it custom made I'd make it so I was able to use the media baskets for the biocubes 32/29 from in tank as that would make maintenance tons easier. Like above stated running one over flow would be best not only for simplicity but because flow in these AIO tanks is horrible and every chamber accumulates detritus over time, running the filter stack first then maybe the skimmer (if you go with one) will help keep all equipment and chambers down stream cleaner.

OP
OP
S

sante21079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are having it custom made I'd make it so I was able to use the media baskets for the biocubes 32/29 from in tank as that would make maintenance tons easier. Like above stated running one over flow would be best not only for simplicity but because flow in these AIO tanks is horrible and every chamber accumulates detritus over time, running the filter stack first then maybe the skimmer (if you go with one) will help keep all equipment and chambers down stream cleaner.
Thank you. These are the kind of tips I was looking for. Do you have any knowledge on the rfg’s ? What closed loop pump would you look at?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I have no experience with closed loops although I would imagine a controllable pump would be ideal for dialing in flow.

SALTYMOPAR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. These are the kind of tips I was looking for. Do you have any knowledge on the rfg’s ? What closed loop pump would you look at?
I would look at a DC pump give you the ability to control the flow of the pump. Might be able to find one you can randomize the flow

SALTYMOPAR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or do I go with an mp 10 and build A dry box for the dry side in the back chamber.
I would say both are good options for pumps. Think it come down to your personal preference. After rolling the idea around in my head i would say mp10 is solid choice that will work great and has been proven.
im the type of guy that likes to go against the grain and sometimes that doesn't work so well. The way you have it drawn in your drawing intake with 2 outputs gives you 3 points of flow. Where as the mp10 is only 2, and those 2 points have to be at the same spot. If it was me i would go with the Sicce i would play with the outputs my first thought was to plumb a pipe out of the back wall run it under the sand turn it up at the front of the display
ReturnHead1a.jpg
ReturnInSand2.jpg

I stole these pictures to illustrate but that will give you flow from the front instead of all your flow coming from from the back wall.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back