Custom Diamond Line Elos 160XL / Dreambox Build

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need the UV outlets facing up or air will collect in the units check the pentair recommended installation diagrams

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet Jesus I am sorry to hear that. I hope you banged like hell on them to get a discount on the new order. I wish you all the luck. Do you need anything from me? (Receipts, email designs, etc.?)

No, we're set. The tank was a few months out out of warranty but they were still willing to work with us on a resolution. It wasn't a cheap resolution but it was cheaper than all of our livestock spilling into our living room!

OP
OP
Siasl

Siasl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need the UV outlets facing up or air will collect in the units check the pentair recommended installation diagrams
Yeah - I agree, but ran out of space. I am actually putting a couple of inches of elevation under the "exit" section so that the majority of the air escapes. My space planning has turned out to be pretty good, but not perfect.

OP
OP
Siasl

Siasl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2730.JPG

A couple of updates - mostly WIP. We were in a wedding this weekend, so I didn't get much done. Above was the AC unit getting plumbed. I count this as my first stupid move. I actually cut and then welded both flex PVCs with the measurements going to the outflow. Then was stuck and had to hack up the multiple 90 turns to make it work. It is the pressure side, so 90 degree turns are not good. The good news is that I have plenty of over-pressure that I will not be needing, so I am dialing the pump back anyway.

The next part was the stressful part. I had to plumb the Rollermat into place and that required lining up the inflows and outflows with marginal forgiveness. I am a hack - I know this, but I did my best to meaure twice, cut once etc.. and I got lucky (at least pre-leak test).

Also installed gate valves so I could make sure that each roller mat was going to get the same amount of flow. Then made sure the overflow was plumbed in bypass mode and all done. Then repeat...

IMG_2729.JPG

Both installed:

IMG_2731.JPG

OP
OP
Siasl

Siasl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, we're set. The tank was a few months out out of warranty but they were still willing to work with us on a resolution. It wasn't a cheap resolution but it was cheaper than all of our livestock spilling into our living room!

I am glad to hear they are working with you - otherwise I think it would be open season campaign on the boards on tank makers that didn't stand behind their tanks...

I hope you guys are enjoying the AZ winter!

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget about MH. They're proven for SPS but add too much heat. I went with a combination of AI Hydra 52s/26s and got great colors (I've used it all: halides, vhos, t5s and leds). We picked up a Reefbrite XHO LED/T5 combo for the frag tank at MACNA this year and we're super impressed. As a result, we're building a new canopy for the AGE tank that will incorporate the AI Hydras and 6 t5s. I'd recommend just LEDs (Hydras or Radions) to start and if you really feel compelled, add t5s. The heat and energy savings add up. I'm going to cringe every time I need to buy new t5s bulbs now that it's been several years without having to think about changing bulbs with LEDs but, so be it.

BTW, we got the old tank swapped out for the new this past weekend. What a tremendous task! Much more difficult than the first time we moved that tank into place considering the amount of livestock, etc. But happy it's over and looking forward to getting back on track with the hobby.

Cheers and still following!

-Z

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking build so far; looking forward to following along!

Both installed:
Out of curiosity; why two? I get that redundancy is important and people normally have 2+ filter socks, but I can't see how having two Rollermats will do more than one? Don't they auto-adjust their roll speed based on the amount of detritus they are pulling out? So I guess two would decrease the time between having to change the rolls out, but I can't really see much other benefit? (Please note; I've not researched them much beyond what videos I've seen them in, so these are honest questions and not an attempt to be snarky nor difficult.)
Regarding the gate valve and balancing the flows; as the fleece fills up, the flow rate will decrease (which is what turns the wheel, as I understand it?). Assuming that to be the case, it will likely be difficult to get them to remain perfectly equal. Can get them close, but I would expect them to oscillate back-and-forth as each one fills and rotates in turn... Will be interesting to see! :)

Just a suggestion: You might want to swap out (or somehow protect) the particle board that they are sitting on, if you're not already planning to do so. When that stuff gets even a little wet, it will fall apart quick. Would hate to see a small leak or even drips from changing out the fleece eventually cause a catastrophe. :-(

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Who are the Elos dealers in the US and how long does it take to get a tank after ordering? Is there US stock or do I have to wait for someone in Italy to build and ship?
Mine was shipped direct from Italy by purchasing it from AquariumSpecialty here in the states. Scott at A.S. was MUCH more responsive and helpful than the yahoos at either of the US stores. Or coralvue for that matter. It arrived in just a matter of days via Fedex Freight.

OP, looking pretty epic so far!
I'm curious about some of the plumbing and how well it will work, like the chiller for instance.
Water will take the path of least resistance so I'm wondering how much will make that 90 degree split and enter the chiller.

Looking forward to further updates.

siliconinja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, crazy sweet plumbing job. When you get the tanks in place a walk through video would provide a better idea of how you are using the space.

Sweet setup!

OP
OP
Siasl

Siasl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking build so far; looking forward to following along!

Out of curiosity; why two? I get that redundancy is important and people normally have 2+ filter socks, but I can't see how having two Rollermats will do more than one? Don't they auto-adjust their roll speed based on the amount of detritus they are pulling out? So I guess two would decrease the time between having to change the rolls out, but I can't really see much other benefit? (Please note; I've not researched them much beyond what videos I've seen them in, so these are honest questions and not an attempt to be snarky nor difficult.)
Regarding the gate valve and balancing the flows; as the fleece fills up, the flow rate will decrease (which is what turns the wheel, as I understand it?). Assuming that to be the case, it will likely be difficult to get them to remain perfectly equal. Can get them close, but I would expect them to oscillate back-and-forth as each one fills and rotates in turn... Will be interesting to see! :)

Just a suggestion: You might want to swap out (or somehow protect) the particle board that they are sitting on, if you're not already planning to do so. When that stuff gets even a little wet, it will fall apart quick. Would hate to see a small leak or even drips from changing out the fleece eventually cause a catastrophe. :-(

Good question - essentially it was about flow. Each rollermat can handle 500-600 gph, and I was planning on moving about 1000gph through the tank. That is all.

Good though on the particle board, I actually hadn't thought of that. However, next post will give it away...

OP
OP
Siasl

Siasl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When life gives you lemons...

Actually - it is not lemons.

I got the good news that the Elos tank is 1 week from shipping. I also got updates and pictures of the sump build.

20170207_114456.jpeg

And then I got the Royal Exclusiv Newsletter a few minutes later which had this fine baby in it:

(From the RE Newsletter, not my photo)

RE Fleece Systemm.png

Are you kidding me?

After spending all that #$@!ing cash on the Theiling Rollermats, all that time plumbing the fish room (Closet), and then they come out with this? I reached out in desperation to Tosten at RE right away to see if I can switch it and surprisingly got the response back that for a nominal fee, they could do so.

I am / was ecstatic. Not sure if I can post this sort of stuff here, but I am going to have two unused (but plumbed) Rollermats for sale in short order! They are great, but I want it all in one package if I can.

So again, faith is justified - go with the best companies and they provide the best service.

However - now I have to redesign just about everything.

Stay Tuned!

OP
OP
Siasl

Siasl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was shipped direct from Italy by purchasing it from AquariumSpecialty here in the states. Scott at A.S. was MUCH more responsive and helpful than the yahoos at either of the US stores. Or coralvue for that matter. It arrived in just a matter of days via Fedex Freight.

OP, looking pretty epic so far!
I'm curious about some of the plumbing and how well it will work, like the chiller for instance.
Water will take the path of least resistance so I'm wondering how much will make that 90 degree split and enter the chiller.

Looking forward to further updates.

Totally agree on the chiller plumbing - I have struggled with this and based upon above post, probably will be ripping out a large part of that plumbing and starting over (for a good reason). Original idea was to create enough back pressure through gate valves to force the water down into the chiller unit. Now - I will most certainly redesign (and probably also fix a previous commenter's issue with flat UV - it still bothers me and now I will have space to fix it.

Is it bad that I am looking forward to redoing things?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree on the chiller plumbing - I have struggled with this and based upon above post, probably will be ripping out a large part of that plumbing and starting over (for a good reason). Original idea was to create enough back pressure through gate valves to force the water down into the chiller unit. Now - I will most certainly redesign (and probably also fix a previous commenter's issue with flat UV - it still bothers me and now I will have space to fix it.

Is it bad that I am looking forward to redoing things?
No way man, this stuff is fun. And better to catch mistakes now (and learn from them) rather than later.
I've had some crazy plumbing I redid on my previous tanks... some of it for this exact reason of water not getting into the chiller.
The amount of money I've spent on plumbing from BRS and other companies is astounding. The worst is replacing those dang CPEX ball valves. Why can't you buy just the fittings?!?! :mad::rolleyes: lol

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!

OP
OP
Siasl

Siasl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing, amazing build. I have always liked the peninsula style tanks. Cant wait for your updates.

I too also struggled to decide on lighting and went with the ati powermodule hybrid. So far, I really like it. It looks really clean over the tank and my yellow humilis has gone from a brown to bright yellow. Also, the programming is easy to use.

OP
OP
Siasl

Siasl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing, amazing build. I have always liked the peninsula style tanks. Cant wait for your updates.

I too also struggled to decide on lighting and went with the ati powermodule hybrid. So far, I really like it. It looks really clean over the tank and my yellow humilis has gone from a brown to bright yellow. Also, the programming is easy to use.

After months of debating - I actually pulled the trigger on the Geisemann Aurora Hybrid (LED / T5). I hate the MH electric bills, but none of the LED look "amazing" (IMHO) over a large tank. I had the Spectra before and loved it - this seemed like the best thing to get coverage and beauty at the same time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back