CUSTOM Sump with Fluorescent Rim, possible commercial production

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make the sumps with different color LED's. Then give each one some kind of a fancy name like orange fire blaze, or yellow pimple popper sump.
You will be able to triple the price and you will have fools lined up for months wanting one.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light in a sump encourages stuff you don't want to grow. If you think a glowing sump is cute put some plastic fish in your tank, make everything glow and leave the water out.

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not trying to be a "debbie downer" but you need to look for a different material for your lids... what you currently have on your list will bow fairly quickly as the acrylic on the "wet side" absorbs moisture.

best of luck to you on this exciting project! keep us posted! i am very curious if you will meet your 500$ projected cost on such a large custom sump.
No not a Debbie downer at all! This is the prototype stage that I will be ruining on my system. So right now its going to be Acrylic with Acrylic baffles and a 1/4" neon acrylic rim, so you mean to say that the lid facing the water will absorb water and bow? I may have to find a different material for sure or a way to reinforce it. Thank you for your encouraging words! Hope you have a nice Halloween weekend

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light in a sump encourages stuff you don't want to grow. If you think a glowing sump is cute put some plastic fish in your tank, make everything glow and leave the water out.
Bit of an unwelcome passive aggressive comment, I don't see how a couple of 1 watt UV LED mounted 30" up on a timer will grow anything, but, you are welcome to your opinion. Have a nice day! Has nothing to do with "cute". Also if that was the case, our refugium lights would be growing everything, everywhere the moment it turned on in the cabinet, which isn't the case, so I think our LED strip will be fine :) You should look into Synergy Reefs Atomic Green Sump, ours will be its own style and design, but if you think that looks ugly with the glowing rim, I really do question what you do find to be aesthetic in a hobby where anything of interest glows, from fancy LEDS to coral we pay $$$ for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make the sumps with different color LED's. Then give each one some kind of a fancy name like orange fire blaze, or yellow pimple popper sump.
You will be able to triple the price and you will have fools lined up for months wanting one.
I think that would be an awesome idea! So the LED will stay the UV as to make the colored acrylic rim and the 1/4" of the baffles glow, but you will be able to choose your colored rim, the color of your lid, and the handles! Currently we were working on each of the custom colored rims coming with a color matched glowing logo as well! Appreciate the idea :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping you guys can enjoy my tank while reading through the thread, this is being transferred over to my new 150 gallon, which is the one this prototype will be used on to observe any issues with it. I built this stand years ago when I was 20 so the next one will look a lot better

90 gal.jpg

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not trying to be a "debbie downer" but you need to look for a different material for your lids... what you currently have on your list will bow fairly quickly as the acrylic on the "wet side" absorbs moisture.

best of luck to you on this exciting project! keep us posted! i am very curious if you will meet your 500$ projected cost on such a large custom sump.
Very glad you mentioned this, I looked more into this and I am reading the thickness matters, so 1/4" up will have a smaller chance of bowing, so I will be adding baffle to lid supports. I will be changing the lids from 1/8" to 1/4", it won't sit flush, but it will be an area to finish with the cutout waste portion from the lip that the lid sits on. I will be addressing all of these problems with the prototype as it happens so I can't tell you how much I appreciate the foresight. I am working with consulting from a large local reef shop manager, who tells me the dirty secret issues they deal with different brand sumps, and how to fix it

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe polycarbonate isn't susceptible to bowing like acrylic. Not sure if they make it in neon colors or not.

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id help with feedback on a prototype and pay for it of course
Awesome! Give me a month to get mine fully built and any kink works out, after a month of QC I will send you and one other person one of these at cost if you guys give me 3-6 months feedback. Are you okay with the dimensions of the chambers? PM me what color scheme you want and when I am ready I will reach out to you and finalize everything.

Dieing for a Drink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am fine with the dimensions so i can give you feedback as is for reviewing purposes . i would place the disconnects at the top of the first chamber so you can place the doser in the sump stand without taxing the lines...or the more mellow second chamber after the first baffle...ill have my support badge as soon as they update date my account

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deciding to go full acrylic for my first one, sump and baffles and lid. Here is a rough 2D diagram of the baffles that will be cut. Being put into 3D software tomorrow. Would like in the future for #5 to include a cut out section in the shape of our Plasma Sumps logo

baffles rough 2D.jpg

This file layout has since been updated

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing a lot of research on different bonding and glues for acrylic, I think I am going to go the route of "Weld on 4" for the first prototype, but I am looking for input on methods as well as the best choice for something like this. Tons of YouTube videos at my disposal for this, but as always, personal experience holds a lot of merit

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to use domestic cell cast acrylic for the supposed superiority of it over extruded acrylic. I will use the higher quality brands of either Polycast, Polyone, Arkema, or Reynolds R

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATED 2D model HEAVILY, not releasing my measurements on individual parts as I worked really hard on this and don't want my dimensions out for others to steal atm :)

Custom Sump Alpha Final 2D.jpg Sump Left Side 2D Model Alpha.jpg Sump Rim 2D Model Alpha Final.jpg Sump Baffles 2D Model Alpha.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back