CUSTOM Sump with Fluorescent Rim, possible commercial production

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working on what originally was a 40 gallon breeder sump conversion for the last 2 months or so, and I am looking for constructive feedback. In the works is an entire sump build customizable in design and color (I have Blue, Green, Orange, Yellow, Red, and Purple) This current one for my 150, is an Apex themed sump with a rim that will glow orange once a UV led strip is installed in cabinet! Along with that, opaque grey lids to match the Apex Neptune aesthetic. I've got a pending trademark for "PlasmaSumps" to start a trial production of these sumps with a local glass/acrylic manufacturer to fit a demand for sumps under or in the $500-$600 range (UPDATE: I made it well below this and I am in the $400 retail price range, at cost for those who want to get a test run will be lower priced) with different glowing color options under low wattage UV Leds. PLEASE GIVE FEEDBACK, but be constructive. I will be working on a Nano option next. This sump will be entirely made of Domestic Cell Cast Acrylic of reputable brands, either Polycast, Polyone, Arkema ( I went with this), or Reynolds R for its quality and strength. REMINDER: This is a personal project for my 150, I would not be upset if this idea actually took off and people actually wanted one as I am going through my first prototype.

UPDATE: ALL my baffles and the Rim are made out of 1/4" Domestic Cell Cast

1. Crash area/drain from DT ( top right of the rim, has two bulk heads)
2.Filter Sock Chamber, goes through the filter socks, down through a panel, up through a bubble trap, through some slits and goes down a marine pure ball chamber, or biological media of your choice) second chamber highlighted by the rim on the second far left section/
3. Skimmer, Media Reactor, dosing chamber
4.Ato tank is the top middle section (Holds 5 Gallons with several inches of space left)
5. In front of the ATO Chamber is the return pump ( I could move these two chambers to the end, but I wanted my refugium on the end so that I can split the flow 75/25 from the DT, 25% goes to the refugium)
6/7. Refugium. 10 gallons filled

I figured having it go mechanical filtration (socks), biological filtration (marine pure balls), and then the mechanical/chemical filtration (skimmer/reactor) picking up excess bacteria and fine waste particles would make for a clean sump/system. All chambers including the holder for the filter socks, and marine pure balls are accessible for cleaning.

Sump.jpg Screenshot_20210107-005654_Snapchat.jpg Snapchat-1836297349.jpg Snapchat-1628328767.jpg Snapchat-635825423.jpg IMG_20210110_215823_914.jpg Snapchat-2020375501.jpg Reef2reef sump blueprint.jpg Sump Alpha.jpg reef.jpg

Attachments

• Snapchat-925921556.mp4
    8.2 MB
Last edited:

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I figured. Seems like a promising idea. I'd have to see the prototype to make a definitive judgment.

U

User1

View Badges
40 gallon breeder is glass. What are the baffles going to be made out of? I've read and seen videos of acrylic baffles in glass sumps expanding and blowing seams on said glass sumps. May want to look into that and the bonding of two different materials.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gallon breeder is glass. What are the baffles going to be made out of? I've read and seen videos of acrylic baffles in glass sumps expanding and blowing seams on said glass sumps. May want to look into that and the bonding of two different materials.

I thought it was only one of the acrylic types that can take on water? Either cast or extruded, I can't keep them straight.

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full Acrylic, 1/4" Domestic Cell Cast

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these will be diy kits? or fully built sumps? will you be depending on your supplier for fabrication?
Hey! So there will be DIY kit options for people who want to do it themselves, and I'll design each blueprint by hand and measure everything for the kit. These will run half the price of if I were to do the whole sump and then ship out. I know its ambitious but I love this hobby and I want to provide more cost effective personal options for hobbyists. Most of the work I'll be doing by hand till I find a CNC shop willing to build 4 rim options for different style tanks, from nanos to larger.

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be cool if you could also make a line of filter socks to go with it. You could give the plastic ring a neon color. You might want to trademark PlasmaSocks while you're at it!
Great idea! I was thinking of also doing the logo fluorescent so it glows under UV, and matches the color that the customer requests to fit the aesthetic. I am not going for a tacky highlighter look by any means, stay tuned for the prototype!

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, currently I am working with someone to create a 3D file of the rim to send to a few CNC shops and workout a plan, as the look is going to be the marketable aspect of the sump, although accessibility and usability are a short second. Anyone in this hobby I feel has an affinity for aesthetics, without looking tacky, and the only company fulfilling that right now is Synergy Sumps. The baffles is the easy part and designing those will be a piece of cake. Let me know what I should change for the sump layout and what I should incorporate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ETA Monday Night on a full 3D Model which will then be sent to a CNC shop. Designer is Jonathan Tanger who has several patents, and designs being sold in big name stores like Home Depot and Lowes. Excited to work with him as turn out should be fast and professional

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not trying to be a "debbie downer" but you need to look for a different material for your lids... what you currently have on your list will bow fairly quickly as the acrylic on the "wet side" absorbs moisture.

best of luck to you on this exciting project! keep us posted! i am very curious if you will meet your 500$ projected cost on such a large custom sump.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back