CUSTOM DIY Sump with Fluorescent Rim, possible commercial production

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
I have been working on what originally was a 40 gallon breeder sump conversion for the last week or so, and I am looking for constructive feedback. In the works is a Sump Rim customizable in design and color, this current one for my 150, is an Apex themed sump with a rim that glow orange once a UV led strip is installed in cabinet! Along with that, opaque grey lids to match the Apex Neptune aesthetic. Going Orange Section 40 with grey unions and valves. Working on having a logo made and a pending trademark for "PlasmaSumps" to start a trial production of these sumps with a local glass/acrylic manufacturer to fit a demand for sumps under or in the $500-$600 range with different glowing color options under low wattage UV Leds. PLEASE GIVE FEEDBACK, but be constructive. I will be working on a Nano option next. This sump will be entirely made of Domestic Cell Cast Acrylic of reputable brands, either Polycast, Polyone, Arkema, or Reynolds R for its quality and strength. REMINDER: This is a personal project for my 150, I would not be upset if this idea actually took off and people actually wanted one as I am going through my first prototype.

Rim and Lid Samples.png Custom Sump Alpha Final 2D.jpg Sump Left Side 2D Model Alpha.jpg Sump Rim 2D Model Alpha Final.jpg Sump Baffles 2D Model Alpha.jpg

Last edited:
Lazys Coral House

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Haha I figured. Seems like a promising idea. I'd have to see the prototype to make a definitive judgment.

Lazys Coral House

saf1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
40 gallon breeder is glass. What are the baffles going to be made out of? I've read and seen videos of acrylic baffles in glass sumps expanding and blowing seams on said glass sumps. May want to look into that and the bonding of two different materials.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
40 gallon breeder is glass. What are the baffles going to be made out of? I've read and seen videos of acrylic baffles in glass sumps expanding and blowing seams on said glass sumps. May want to look into that and the bonding of two different materials.

I thought it was only one of the acrylic types that can take on water? Either cast or extruded, I can't keep them straight.

OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
The prototype is going to be glass with glass baffles, but there will be options for full acrylic, or full 1/4"-1/2" glass. You are totally right though. Glass does not bond well when acrylic baffles are siliconed, and vice versa. The top edges of each baffle will be finished with a Lucite acrylic rod of any color, I can see where it might have been mixed up what the baffles are made of.

Corals.com
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
these will be diy kits? or fully built sumps? will you be depending on your supplier for fabrication?
Hey! So there will be DIY kit options for people who want to do it themselves, and I'll design each blueprint by hand and measure everything for the kit. These will run half the price of if I were to do the whole sump and then ship out. I know its ambitious but I love this hobby and I want to provide more cost effective personal options for hobbyists. Most of the work I'll be doing by hand till I find a CNC shop willing to build 4 rim options for different style tanks, from nanos to larger.

OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
It would be cool if you could also make a line of filter socks to go with it. You could give the plastic ring a neon color. You might want to trademark PlasmaSocks while you're at it!
Great idea! I was thinking of also doing the logo fluorescent so it glows under UV, and matches the color that the customer requests to fit the aesthetic. I am not going for a tacky highlighter look by any means, stay tuned for the prototype!

OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
So, currently I am working with someone to create a 3D file of the rim to send to a few CNC shops and workout a plan, as the look is going to be the marketable aspect of the sump. Anyone in this hobby is a crackhead for stuff that glows, without looking tacky, and the only company fulfilling that right now is Synergy Sumps. The baffles is the easy part and designing those will be a piece of cake. Let me know what I should change for the sump layout and what I should incorporate.

Last edited:
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
UPDATE
So, I am looking to create a 36"x18" Acrylic Lid to sit ontop of a 40 gallon glass tank, with 1/4" glass. The Orange is 1/4" thick acrylic, with the rims being 1" in width from the edge of the glass it will sit on. I would like it to be beveled down to 1/8" where the lids will go, which the lids will be 1/8" thick acrylic, would be awesome if the lids sit flush. This no longer needs to be put into 18"x1" strips since this will no longer be a hand made project, and I can have a full acrylic sheet cut.

The clear sections are empty and would need to show through cut out in the design

The grey sections are acrylic lids which will be 1/8" thick, and need to sit 1/2" away from the outside edge of the 1" rims. They will fit into an 1/8" lip cut into the 1/4" thick orange rim. The crescent shapes are handles I would like designed, and the holes are 1" straight through cut for bulkheads. I would prefer if every inside corner was a rounded angle, instead of a straight 90 degree, along with the area the lids will fit in

The grey lids would be as follows: First Grey Lid- 3"x4", with the two 1" bulkhead holes being placed within that 3"x4" space, more than likely 1/2" from the left and right edges, with an inch of space in the middle, probably will tweak this lid
Second Grey Lid- 3"x15", just a simple handle designed for it.
Third Grey Lid-Will be 9"x9" as it needs to cover a 10"x9" opening with 1" orange rims around that space, hence the lid being smaller than the space. The holes will need to be 1/8"-1/2" diameter holes for quick disconnect tubing attachments. Will finalize that
Fourth Grey lid-11"x4". with a 1" slip bulkhead hole being placed perfectly in the middle

I would like any of the spots where lids are next to each other to show 1/2" of the orange rim, as it will be exposed to low UV light and glow.

I have no education in CAD or Modeling so bear with me as professionals iron out my idea and design, I am quite happy to learn from them.

Last edited:
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
ETA Monday Night on a full 3D Model which will then be sent to a CNC shop. Designer is Jonathan Tanger who has several patents, and designs being sold in big name stores like Home Depot and Lowes. Excited to work with him as turn out should be fast and professional

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
not trying to be a "debbie downer" but you need to look for a different material for your lids... what you currently have on your list will bow fairly quickly as the acrylic on the "wet side" absorbs moisture.

best of luck to you on this exciting project! keep us posted! i am very curious if you will meet your 500$ projected cost on such a large custom sump.

Have you heard about our Toys For Kids Drive?

• YES

Votes: 70 64.2%
  • NO

Votes: 39 35.8%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Bulk Reef Supply