• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Custom Negative Space Aquascape Pricing?

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoyed making my NSA for my IM Nuvo 20 and was thinking of picking up some more dry rock and making some negative space rock structures to sell.

Wanted to put a feeler out there for what would be a realistic price and see if this endeavor would be worth it.

Here’s how my Arch turned out. I can post some pics from different angles to show more of the structure when I get home.

0D3B216D-1CD9-4742-90B9-F67FE71883B1.jpeg

Last edited:

shanescycling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work there.
When you say worth it? Are you talking to make actual money? Or break even? I would imagine it might be hard to make money on it.
I am guessing shipping might be risky and pricey.
One idea could be see if you could work with your local LFS and make pieces for the tanks they are selling on consignment relationship. They win as it makes their tanks more attractive and you win with free shelf space and advertising.

OP
OP
Saluki2003

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth is kinda subjective I guess...dry rock is pretty cheap so I know I would make some $ off it I just had no idea how much.

As for shipping I think this would be a local pickup only kinda thing. The shelves on mine are definitely sturdy but I’d hate to try and ship a piece and have it show up in a bunch of pieces due to some mishandling by the shipping company.

I have some extra rock and I think I’ll make a couple pieces for some common nano size tanks and post them up for sale on a couple Facebook groups. I’ll also talk to the LFS as well.

Thanks for the advice.

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One idea could be see if you could work with your local LFS and make pieces for the tanks they are selling on consignment relationship. They win as it makes their tanks more attractive and you win with free shelf space and advertising.
Thats a great idea. Brilliant.

enigma2u422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoyed making my NSA for my IM Nuvo 20 and was thinking of picking up some more dry rock and making some negative space rock structures to sell.

Wanted to put a feeler out there for what would be a realistic price and see if this endeavor would be worth it.

Here’s how my Arch turned out. I can post some pics from different angles to show more of the structure when I get home.

0D3B216D-1CD9-4742-90B9-F67FE71883B1.jpeg
First, this looks incredible. Secondly, I'm looking for a consultant to build me something exactly like this for my new 150 Tank. There is absolutely a market for this as it's even more "Art" than Science. To put that in perspective, think of it like a Home Decor Designer or even a Kitchen Remodler. They get paid big money for their artistic vision. Additionally, the SoCal market (I'm in Orange County) is huge on it's own. Start small with basic short haul ground transportation. How much would it be worth? Depends on the size, but I'd pay plenty for the perfect Aquascape art piece that benefits my tank and that I'll be staring at for years. I can't remodel kitchens, and I certainly can't build this. $$ LMK if you're looking for clients. I'm in the market. ;)

Erik-Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth is kinda subjective I guess...dry rock is pretty cheap so I know I would make some $ off it I just had no idea how much.

As for shipping I think this would be a local pickup only kinda thing. The shelves on mine are definitely sturdy but I’d hate to try and ship a piece and have it show up in a bunch of pieces due to some mishandling by the shipping company.

I have some extra rock and I think I’ll make a couple pieces for some common nano size tanks and post them up for sale on a couple Facebook groups. I’ll also talk to the LFS as well.

Thanks for the advice.
Any luck on your business endeavor?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back