Custom sizes discussion (considering something near a 4x2x2 like 48x28x28 or perhaps 54x28x28)

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a custom size tank I can afford to play a round with sizes a little more. I was considering a 4x2x2 but if I go custom I could go 48x28x28... thoughts?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go as big as you can afford and fit in and this will hopefully prevent you wanting to upgrade in the future.

28 deep is about as deep as I would go, I can barely reach the bottom at full stretch and I’m 6 4, but I would certainly go as long as you can and maybe a bit wider

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently placed an order for a 36” long x 26” wide x 28” tall. It’s still being built, but those few extra inches give me a lot more flexibility when it comes to aquascaping and coral placement. This tank will be set up as a peninsula.

Jumping from 24” tall to almost anything taller, most tank builders are going to want to use a glass panel that is at least 1/8” thicker. This alone will add considerable cost.

When I was doing a mock-up of my aquarium design, I decided that a viewing area of 24-25” tall would be ideal for me. If you assume that the first 1/2” of the tank is the bottom pane of glass, then add 1-2” of a sand substrate, then assume the water height will probably be about 1” from the top of the tank, you’ve lost at least 2.5” - 3.5” of viewable area to the margins of any tank.

Honestly, if you’re trying to get the biggest volume for the lowest price, just go with a standard 4’ 120 gallon tank or a 6’ 125. Anything taller than 24” is going to be considerably more expensive.

OP
OP
N

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently placed an order for a 36” long x 26” wide x 28” tall. It’s still being built, but those few extra inches give me a lot more flexibility when it comes to aquascaping and coral placement. This tank will be set up as a peninsula.

Jumping from 24” tall to almost anything taller, most tank builders are going to want to use a glass panel that is at least 1/8” thicker. This alone will add considerable cost.

When I was doing a mock-up of my aquarium design, I decided that a viewing area of 24-25” tall would be ideal for me. If you assume that the first 1/2” of the tank is the bottom pane of glass, then add 1-2” of a sand substrate, then assume the water height will probably be about 1” from the top of the tank, you’ve lost at least 2.5” - 3.5” of viewable area to the margins of any tank.

Honestly, if you’re trying to get the biggest volume for the lowest price, just go with a standard 4’ 120 gallon tank or a 6’ 125. Anything taller than 24” is going to be considerably more expensive.

so you are saying you were happy to pay the extra for the 28” high? i might go 30 wide and 24 high then?

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you are saying you were happy to pay the extra for the 28” high? i might go 30 wide and 24 high then?

Yes, I’m happy with what I have ordered.

I bought it knowing the hassles associated with the extra height, but I figure it’d be worth it to have something beautiful in my living room. It fits the spot that I’m putting it into perfectly.

Honestly, how often do you need to reach the bottom of your tank? Just be aware of what your getting yourself into.

To put price into perspective, a 36” x 24” x 24” 90 gallon tank went from a quote of $800 to $1,250 when I went to 36” x 26” x 28” tall 115 gallons. $450, compared to many things in this hobby, isn’t really an exorbitant amount of money.

Now, to see if I’ll really be happy with what I’ve bought, you should ask me in a couple of months.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back