Cutting Copper Power short?

Mindblock769

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today marks 30 days of my Foxface in QT. He's only been in 2.0-2.5ppm of Copper Power for 9 days. He looks healthy and is eating like crazy, but I delayed the medication process because the first week he was very stressed and not eating so I waited to medicate with PraziPro. I did 2 treatments of that, then took a week to ramp up copper power to 2.5ppm.

Is 30 days long enough of observation to know that he's disease free? I was thinking of 14days copper power then transfer to DT.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Today marks 30 days of my Foxface in QT. He's only been in 2.0-2.5ppm of Copper Power for 9 days. He looks healthy and is eating like crazy, but I delayed the medication process because the first week he was very stressed and not eating so I waited to medicate with PraziPro. I did 2 treatments of that, then took a week to ramp up copper power to 2.5ppm.

Is 30 days long enough of observation to know that he's disease free? I was thinking of 14days copper power then transfer to DT.
30 should be good
If it hasn’t developed disease or other issue (purpose of qt) in a one month period - it is deemed safe

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has only been in Copper above 2ppm for 9 days, then I think you have a risk of something making it through your qt.

Low risk considering, but it would be a shame to do all of that work and have it carry ich or velvet into your dt.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh boy, that's exciting to hear!

Whats the best method to move from QT to DT without copper contamination into the DT?
Acclimate as you would do with a new fish
I myself place fish in a bucket and add a cup of new tank water to bucket every 15 mins 6x- then trap fish with a large cup, poor off water and release into display tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m not a great proponent for 14 day copper treatments, 30 is safer. Is there a compelling reason to cut things short? If not, I’d keep it in for 30 days.
The 14 day copper treatment was what we used back in the 1980’s when using copper/citric acid. That was much more toxic, so we rushed to get fish out ASAP. Even then, I began going for 21 days due to breakthrough infections.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back