OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my freebies from @AquaSD, it looks great and is growing pretty fast!

PXL_20201102_043123588.jpg

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. This week I certainly got some tank gremlins. First, my heater died. It's been 2+ years so I guess not unheard of. Based on what I have read here, I was prepared and had a replacement on hand. So no big issue. Just changed it. But then later in the week my skimmer died too. The pump pushes water but it doesn't make any bubbles. I cleaned the venturi and all other pieces, but it still won't work, been tinkering with it for hours.
Maybe time to get a new one.
And then today, I am seeing what I think are diatoms in my sand. (Or dinos? Can't tell. They aren't "snotty" so maybe not)

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New friend today. He has a tough job. While I admit I really like the asterinas, they have multiplied insanely and now have stripped my tank of coraline entirely, and now algae is starting to grow where the coraline was. The darned little things are also getting inside my pumps and they stop running!. So we'll see how the new friend performs.

PXL_20201123_013138485.MP.jpg PXL_20201123_013208417.MP.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this on another thread. But thought I'd keep a copy on my build thread too.
The escape of a hermit!

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the harlequin vid. Beautiful creature. Good luck with asterinas @Scurvy went to war on his as well a while back. They as you said strip coraline like no ones bussiness

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the harlequin vid. Beautiful creature. Good luck with asterinas @Scurvy went to war on his as well a while back. They as you said strip coraline like no ones bussiness
Thanks @Raege . The funny thing is I think the asterinas sensed him. They were always on my rocks. As soon as I introduced the harlequin I have hundreds on my glass where there was none before. Fascinating.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin will decimate them in no time. Im feeding chocolate chip stars every few weeks now and havent seen an asterina in IDK how long now and I had thousands!
This one is pretty small, but I already see him hunting avidly.
May I ask, to feed the chocolate chip, later when the asterinas are gone, do you just put it in your DT and that's it? I've read they aren't reef safe, but I was hoping the shrimp would eat them before they can cause any damage to anything else?.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is pretty small, but I already see him hunting avidly.
May I ask, to feed the chocolate chip, later when the asterinas are gone, do you just put it in your DT and that's it? I've read they aren't reef safe, but I was hoping the shrimp would eat them before they can cause any damage to anything else?.
Just drop it in near the shrimp amd he has it flipped over and snacking within 5 minutes usually. I started by cutting a leg at a time but dont bother with that anymore. One chocolate chip lasts 3 or 4 weeks.
The asterina's did the same thing in my tank. Climbing glass once the shrimp was in the tank.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. First post of the year is I am completely dumbfounded. I have always run GFO on this tank. Since day one. Always struggled with high phospahtes. I also have some chaeto in my sump and some biopellets to control nitrates more than anything. Early DEC I decided to remove the GFO and my PO4 climbed steadily from 0.06 to 0.37 before the holidays. I thought I would bring back the GFO online once the holidays passed and I had more time for maintenance. But yesterday I measured and my PO4 has come down to 0.04. what? No3 down to 4. Tested twice. Couldn't believe it. I guess PO4 starting to balance out on it own....will see if this new balance stays but feels great if I can ditch the GFO.

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar experience for me. 6 months tank minimal attention and its happier. No go mo gac skimmer sometimes and tank is finding its balance finally.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing around with my new pixel 5 :) after some downs with my tank.
PXL_20210111_011051133.jpg
PXL_20210111_010643813.jpg
PXL_20210111_010500200.jpg

Most curious guy in the tank, checking me out.
PXL_20210110_231314697.jpg

PXL_20210110_231313525.jpg

And finally managed to photograph this guy after 2 years. So hard!
PXL_20210111_010201419.jpg

One of my aquaSD freebies. Growing like crazy
PXL_20210111_010756269.MP.jpg

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics.love the possum wrasse. Mi e was same only catch a glimpse once in a while never camera in hand.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics.love the possum wrasse. Mi e was same only catch a glimpse once in a while never camera in hand.
Thanks @Raege. I know!. So hard to photograph that one. Been trying for a while. And even this one was blurry. I have no clue how @Lasse does it but he has great ones of his. Maybe it's the Swedish blood in them, makes them more photogenic :):)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Raege. I know!. So hard to photograph that one. Been trying for a while. And even this one was blurry. I have no clue how @Lasse does it but he has great ones of his. Maybe it's the Swedish blood in them, makes them more photogenic :):)
It took me more than 2 years to get a decent picture of this species. I have had this for + 4 years and in the last year it seems like he/she has been lesser shy and more willing to show off over the years. Nowadays - he/she more act as a photobomber - I love this sequence

I have seen this with other secret species too - it can take a year or two before they dare to show up in the open. I did not see my Callogobius hasselti for more than 1 year - and suddenly I succeeded to take a short video of him/her-

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me more than 2 years to get a decent picture of this species. I have had this for + 4 years and in the last year it seems like he/she has been lesser shy and more willing to show off over the years. Nowadays - he/she more act as a photobomber - I love this sequence

I have seen this with other secret species too - it can take a year or two before they dare to show up in the open. I did not see my Callogobius hasselti for more than 1 year - and suddenly I succeeded to take a short video of him/her-

Sincerely Lasse

OMG.I love it. You sir are a true master sensei. :)
I had never seen a Callogobius hasselti. Are they hard to take care of? Going to go read up on it. Looks amazing!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back