OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what’s change in no3 with that much Chaeto growth in 1.5 week period.
I think too early for conclusions since it's been just 1 measurement. But the 2 readings at start and today were 25 and 13 respectively for NO3 and .2 to .11 respectively on PO4. According to instructions I'll probably have to start dosing the Nitrogen that comes with it soon. Happy so far but let's see how it does long term. Bit afraid I could strip all nutrients. Been feeding extremely heavy to make sure that doesn't happen

Last edited:

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in seeing how it works long term. I'm with you on the worry aspect of the tool working to well. I need the set it forget tools being of a lazy nature lol.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in seeing how it works long term. I'm with you on the worry aspect of the tool working to well. I need the set it forget tools being of a lazy nature lol.
Hear you there Ray. That same nature drove my 2 last purchases. Stuff I can clean in a couple minutes. :)

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to catch this guy in my Goni but it's very difficult to get right focus. So fast!
PXL_20211120_024247274-01.jpeg

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck with him lol
I have spent hours trying to get the Coral Beauties colors in focus but another speed demon and a bit shy

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think too early for conclusions since it's been just 1 measurement. But the 2 readings at start and today were 25 and 13 respectively for NO3 and .2 to .11 respectively on PO4. According to instructions I'll probably have to start dosing the Nitrogen that comes with it soon. Happy so far but let's see how it does long term. Bit afraid I could strip all nutrients. Been feeding extremely heavy to make sure that doesn't happen
Good things happen with heavy in / heavy out. Can be a bit of (extra) work. But corals and fish love it, and after all, that is kinda why we are here.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unfamiliar with running an oxydator. What is this device a substitute for?
Not the expert of course, but from what I have read, not really a substitute to anything, more a complimentary contraption that doesn't need cables and needs very little maintenance. Small footprint too, which is extremely valuable to me.
Observed benefits are crystal clear water, less film algae among others since the contraption elevates the oxygen of the water. They are powered by Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2). The peroxide is not dosed into the tank but in this little contraption where a catalyst breaks the hydrogen peroxide down into oxygen and water. It helps clean the aquarium water and keep it clear eliminating any yellowing.

From my reading here, @najer doesn't run his tanks w/o them and @atoll has been using them for approx. 30yrs in his tanks, and my understanding is he wrote a section on them in Albert Theil's nano book, so pinging them here since they are the experts (in my opinion at least, reading their posts is what convinced me to get one). At some point Simon described it as a "poor man's ozone sort of" but doesn't use any electricity.

Here is one of the links from @atoll describing its use
and another thread where they discussed them

There is really no centralized thread for these that I could find, I had to read through several threads and build threads to piece together the info. I was surprised to see how little is known about them if the claim is they are such great tools. Too early for me to tell/prove in my tank, but I was sold on the claimed benefits.

(Now I know why @najer takes those absolutely clear and amazing pictures, he was cheating with an Oxydator! LOL)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the expert of course, but from what I have read, not really a substitute to anything, more a complimentary contraption that doesn't need cables and needs very little maintenance. Small footprint too, which is extremely valuable to me.
Observed benefits are crystal clear water, less film algae among others since the contraption elevates the oxygen of the water. They are powered by Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2). The peroxide is not dosed into the tank but in this little contraption where a catalyst breaks the hydrogen peroxide down into oxygen and water. It helps clean the aquarium water and keep it clear eliminating any yellowing.

From my reading here, @najer doesn't run his tanks w/o them and @atoll has been using them for approx. 30yrs in his tanks, and my understanding is he wrote a section on them in Albert Theil's nano book, so pinging them here since they are the experts (in my opinion at least, reading their posts is what convinced me to get one). At some point Simon described it as a "poor man's ozone sort of" but doesn't use any electricity.

Here is one of the links from @atoll describing its use
and another thread where they discussed them

There is really no centralized thread for these that I could find, I had to read through several threads and build threads to piece together the info. I was surprised to see how little is known about them if the claim is they are such great tools. Too early for me to tell/prove in my tank, but I was sold on the claimed benefits.

(Now I know why @najer takes those absolutely clear and amazing pictures, he was cheating with an Oxydator! LOL)
You have more or less nailed it above. I will.just add an Oxydator can be used instead as an ozoniser as they do similar things all be it in different ways. I wouldn't use both together however as it could be over kill. You can use an Oxydator with a UV unit however.
BTW. I run the Oxydator user group on Facebook for those interested in more information, tips and ideas.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Others can do the chemistry thing better than me, some peroxide is ejected at the bottom but the ceramics are also impregnated with the catalyst material. :)

There is silver in the catalysts and I think also the ceramic beaker I believe. As the peroxide is ejected from the acylic container it travels up between the small gap between the insides of the beaker breaking much of it down into.its component parts, super oxygen and water. What peroxide escapes from the beaker further breaks down and reacts with organics and other material in the water. Some recent anecdotal evidence suggests the spores of parasites like itch are attacked and killed reducing the possibility of itch infection. However, this probably depends on the correct size of Oxydator along with a high % concentration of peroxide and number of catalysts for the size, stocking rate and feeding regime of your particular tank. If that sounds rather complicated it isn't really and with a little experimentation is easily arrived at.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it is really about saturating the O2 levels in the water, right? In our captive indoor CO2 ridden homes this seems like a reasonable goal. By extension then, that saturation raises the oxidation potential, right? I am just trying to piece this together in totally layman terms, and put it in context with parameters we can easily measure. (Not that O2 is easy to measure, but ORP is.)

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it is really about saturating the O2 levels in the water, right? In our captive indoor CO2 ridden homes this seems like a reasonable goal. By extension then, that saturation raises the oxidation potential, right? I am just trying to piece this together in totally layman terms, and put it in context with parameters we can easily measure. (Not that O2 is easy to measure, but ORP is.)
Caveat again that not an expert, but yes, I believe that is the premise, the oxygen increases the redox potential of the water body. Effects of this could be either positive or negative according to Randy.

Randy has had some additional comments around oxydators, but I confess I don't understand many of them, way over my head. It doesn't seem like he is skeptical of their use, but more of the attribution of observed results to just the use of an oxydator.

Here is one of those threads:

Last edited:
Back