OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things on your plumbing. You need to ditch the copper barbed fitting on your return and replace it with a PVC fitting. Bulk reef supplies has any and ever thing you need if your local hardware doesn't have what you need. I would also recommend adding a quick disconnect to your overflow line as well and get some plastic hose clamps for all of your tubing connections to prevent leaks as you will have them with out the clamps. BRS also carries them.

Thanks Tbabcock. I am getting rid of it, this is just for testing my build while the PVC piece gets here. And I do have clamps for all the hoses, I will put them on after I glue everything. What do you mean by adding a quick disconnect? adding a union to the overflow line?

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Union on the over flow.
Something else to consider would be placing a Tee on the return, moving your over flow to the middle of the tank and plumbing your return with one on each side of the overflow. Just a little more plumbing but better flow through the tank and you could move your check valve down near the pump. It would also give you better access to clean the check valve from the sump area.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Union on the over flow.
Something else to consider would be placing a Tee on the return, moving your over flow to the middle of the tank and plumbing your return with one on each side of the overflow. Just a little more plumbing but better flow through the tank and you could move your check valve down near the pump. It would also give you better access to clean the check valve from the sump area.

Thanks again. I will add that union.
I also moved the union on the return right next to the sump for easy maintenance from inside the sump area. There isn’t enough room in there to have the check valve there too, but I just realized by putting the union in the sump area, I can just unscrew the union and the check valve comes over the tank easily for maintenance. thanks for the advice!
I will pass on the double return for now and maybe leave it for a future upgrade, sounds too daunting for now. (ashamed to say it but this is my first time touching PVC hahaha)

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished new piping following the advice to add some unions and switch the ball valve for a gate valve. Started testing and spent a lot of time dealing with small leaks. As soon as I ditched the teflon tape for the threads and used thread compound instead they all stopped. Flow running now without any leaks, so exciting! Also tested powering off the pump, and breaking syphon. No flooding at all so maybe I did my piping right. (All i need now is for the 2 plastic clamps to arrive so I can remove the steel ones, but this will do for now)

935c6fae71ce0690e26e2802a64626d7.jpg

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try looking on craigs list or amazon
Plastic Drum - 55 Gallon, Closed Top, Blue
S-10757BLU.jpg

magglass_englarge.gif
More Images
Excellent for indoor or outdoor use. Corrosion free, dent-resistant polyethylene.
  • Store up to 800 lbs. of liquids or solids.
  • Two 2" openings to pour and vent.
  • FDA compliant resins.

MODEL
NO. COLOR TOP CAPACITY UN RATING WT.
(LBS.) PRICE EACH ADD TO
CART
1 4 8+
S-10757BLU Blue Closed 55 Gallon 1H1/Y1.9/100 22 $71 $67 each ADD

SHIPS VIA MOTOR FREIGHT

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks siggy. I did look into these, but wife looking for something that “goes” together with the patio furniture. that’s why I was curious if the barrel I linked above would work. (she hates the blue hahaha)

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I just use two five gallon buckets. I run my RODI outside with the garden hose to fill my buckets. Then, I leave them full of water as my reserve and stash them in the basement until I need them. I have a 75G tank and the most I normally do is a 10G change so it works out perfect.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
salinity check. Just finished filling the tank. water is very milky!
flow check.
I think now it’s time for cycling. (scary!) thinking of doing fishless using bio spira and some ammonia drops.

IMG_0173.JPG

Nice! Congratulations! Now the fun begins. I know you probably hit the lights for the picture, but I would leave them off while cycling. Only thing that would use them is algae at this point.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Congratulations! Now the fun begins. I know you probably hit the lights for the picture, but I would leave them off while cycling. Only thing that would use them is algae at this point.

Got it! Turning them off right now!
Thanks

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to this addiction call reef keeping. You seem to be off to a great start. Might I add a suggestion (and its only a suggestion). I would highly reccommend you reconsider that overflow box, and consider getting your tank drilled and using an overflow box like the Eshopp Eclipse S model or the Snergy reef overflow box. The reason is, the one you have works on an over the top syphon, the issuse you might face is you losing your syphon and having to constently restart it. Also it is a recipe for an overflow disaster. If something gets stuck in there, ie. a snail you could come home to water on your floor. I think in the long run you will be happier with that style of overflow box and you will not have to get another tank in about 6 mths when you get tired of restarting the syphon or coming home to a flooded house (pray that doesn't happen). Drilling the tank will be a bit of a pain, but if you are handy with a drill and have patience, you can easily do it yourself or if you have a local LFS, see if they can do it, go to a glass company or find someone in your local reef club, there are many options you can use. Again I think you will get more enjoyment from your tank if you went with another style overflow. Again, just my .02cents. Enjoy and happy reefing.

I second this thought.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5th day of cycling after I put in the Biospira and the Tim’s Ammonia drops. My ammonia is now 0 after a high of 4. Nitrite 3 and Nitrates climbing. 20 now. Will just keep watching it....any advice for the noobie or just keep going?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back