OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing some additional DIY project while the tank cycles. I confess it was a total pain to make this Hofer gurgle buster, but I can’t speak highly enough about it. It has completely silenced my overflow.

99443880fe2d5b0fa63578f26874dc01.jpg

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d9d7443268551164aa8ba653a7abf044.jpg

Ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates 5 for a few days now. Our first inhabitants are in the tank now, picked out by the kids. Couple chromis, couple shrimp and lots of snails. Starting to see diatoms on the sand and on the rocks as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday we got three Bangai cardinals at LFS. First day ok in QT. Second day one of them is dead. :(:(
Picture below in case anyone can see anything I should be looking out for?
The other 2 not eating much, they spit out their food. So a bit worried. My QT is 10 gallon. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, nitrates 5ish (dang color bars). Salinity is 1.024. Temp 77.5.

96ac29526d4a9df7ca8253250aea6815.jpg

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went yesterday to my first reefapalooza!!. It was great meeting the R2R guys! I also want a Klir now after seeing it in action. Anyone have any experience with it?

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are things progressing?

Hi junglejim, thanks for checking in. So far so good. Have a few corals now and a few fish in the DT. Some others didn’t make it through QT :(

Right now I am battling cyano, can’t get rid of it. Probably due to over feeding. I don’t see some of my fish eat so I throw in some extra food and think that caused it. Following all steps listed here in the forum to get rid of it.
My PO. is 0 now (I added some GFO to a two little fishes reactor)
My nitrates are around 20 though so I’ll try another (or few more) big water change

Here are some recent pics
0fc72535caf41ef6cb9f74ce6bd9618a.jpg
db04d30c22146c9849134206adc838d8.jpg
f54063e9ee1ad34089e09dd2e5e9b066.jpg

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's looking good! I'm just starting up my tank too! Hope to get water in it this weekend, MY sump and RO system should be arriving today! I got super excited reading your post when i saw you put in water and it looks great now! The backdrop kind of throws me off. i can't decide if i like it or not, but it's still a great looking tank!

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's looking good! I'm just starting up my tank too! Hope to get water in it this weekend, MY sump and RO system should be arriving today! I got super excited reading your post when i saw you put in water and it looks great now! The backdrop kind of throws me off. i can't decide if i like it or not, but it's still a great looking tank!

Thanks! I was on the fence too about the backdrop but I lost a 3v1 vote with wife and kids haha. Getting used to it though, I like it now more than I did before.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t updated in a while. I am now tired of refilling every day. So decided to get an ATO. Picture of the new toy. (Still need to organize the wires)
1d1dbb4ce02f4d7f6dae787ccf05ecd0.jpg

Now that I decided to add this, had to think about redundancy a bit. Here is my rationale. Basically, until now, if my overflow lost syphon, there isn’t enough water in the return chamber of my r-200 to overflow my DT, so I wasn’t too worried about my choice of overflow since I couldn’t get the tank drilled. However, with the ATO installed, the return chamber could keep getting more and more water to overflow my DT. (I put a 5g ATO container). So Thats why in the end I decided to chose the tunze osmolator, because of the time failsafe. I turned the flow to the lowest, and it won’t get enough water into my return chamber before the 10 minutes shuts it off.
Tested it by breaking the siphon on purpose. Works. Feeling safe again. (Hopefully didn’t miss anything on my rationale)

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t updated in a while. I am now tired of refilling every day. So decided to get an ATO. Picture of the new toy. (Still need to organize the wires)
1d1dbb4ce02f4d7f6dae787ccf05ecd0.jpg

Now that I decided to add this, had to think about redundancy a bit. Here is my rationale. Basically, until now, if my overflow lost syphon, there isn’t enough water in the return chamber of my r-200 to overflow my DT, so I wasn’t too worried about my choice of overflow since I couldn’t get the tank drilled. However, with the ATO installed, the return chamber could keep getting more and more water to overflow my DT. (I put a 5g ATO container). So Thats why in the end I decided to chose the tunze osmolator, because of the time failsafe. I turned the flow to the lowest, and it won’t get enough water into my return chamber before the 10 minutes shuts it off.
Tested it by breaking the siphon on purpose. Works. Feeling safe again. (Hopefully didn’t miss anything on my rationale)
I have the same sump and the same ATO (I get mine tomorrow) but I have a 20 ATO condainer. So we will see. From everything I read about the tunze. It's amazing.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same sump and the same ATO (I get mine tomorrow) but I have a 20 ATO condainer. So we will see. From everything I read about the tunze. It's amazing.

that’s great! let’s compare notes in a couple months again! :) So far I Love the sump. some people have complained about having the chamber in the back and not being able to see the water level. but i attached a mirror with a flexible arm and i can see it pretty easily

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s great! let’s compare notes in a couple months again! :) So far I Love the sump. some people have complained about having the chamber in the back and not being able to see the water level. but i attached a mirror with a flexible arm and i can see it pretty easily

Sure thing!! Yeah I noticed, I just get down and look but a mirror would be great. With an ATO thiugh I'm not to worried about it.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to report all cyano is gone. In the end I went with chemiclean. I was somewhat afraid of just adding it but 48 hours and it is all gone now.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm. I got a zoa colony a few weeks ago, dipped it for around 10 minutes in revive. It was completely hard. But now in the water after a few days it just started noticing like something has grown on the back of the colony rock. And it looks like some kind of brownish soft tissue. Any ideas what this brownish sack could be?
The zoa colony is doing great but I am inclined to just take it out of the tank....

IMG_0412.JPG

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another beginner question if you may. I have been taking it slowly, trying to get my parameters as stable as I can, so not many updates as of late. I have started to see these little white specs all over the aquarium. Is this the beggining of Coraline? Or is it something else I should be wary off? It's everywhere!
IMG_20190120_113451.jpeg

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re spiorbid worms. Harmless little creatures. Just your biodiversity establishing itself :)
Thanks! I'll read up on them. Glad to know harmless because they are literally everywhere. Covering all rocks, back glass too. It's interesting though that there are none on my front glass.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back