OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, lesson learned. Do not keep more than one Chromis. They will slowly bully each other until only one is left. Had read in here this behavior could happen but they looked so pretty swimming together I chose to ignore the warning and had gotten 3 green Chromis and 2 blue Chromis. Now I only have 1 green and 1 blue left. They don't seem to bother each other (so far), only the same kind.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a good note, this guy is growing like crazy. I have been struggling to keep my nitrates below 25. They just won't come down. Not even with several WC a week. But this guy apparently loves them! (Almost as much as my chaeto)
IMG-20190204-WA0002.jpeg

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to bed. All fish were perfect. I woke up this morning and my blue Chromis is covered in white dots. Haven't introduced anything new to the tank so not sure what this is. Can ich act this fast? Could it be microbubbles? The picture isn't that great, he moves too fast for me. Will try to take a better one.
IMG_20190216_072657.jpeg

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you added something?

I've had ich lay dormant for months and then sprout up when the fish get stressed.
Probably a month or so ago. My foxface who spent 30 days in QT before that. All my fish have gone through QT with cupramine as recommended here. Maybe it was on a Coral then. I dip them always but I don't have space for a full coral QT tank.

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a month or so ago. My foxface who spent 30 days in QT before that. All my fish have gone through QT with cupramine as recommended here. Maybe it was on a Coral then. I dip them always but I don't have space for a full coral QT tank.
When was the last time you added a coral? Ich cysts can imbed in frags and wont be killed off by dipping. I lost a whole tank full of fish this way.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah then makes sense. About 2 weeks ago.
Well. As a quick update the white spots disappeared overnight after first night. None returned. none to be seen as of today a few days later. Could the ich cycle be that quick? Attach one night be gone next?
I keep monitoring the fish after dark too.
I don't want to assume it's gone, but couldn't it have been something else?
Oh well, for now fish are happy, eating well, not scratching or having any weird behaviors

I have QT'ed all if them so far with cupramine and unfortunately I don't have the setup to remove all of them at same time, so for now (1) either it wasn't ich and I panicked unnecessarily, or (2) the fish are fighting it and I will have to live with it for the time being.
So praying is 1 but starting to prepare for a long term solution to 2.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White spots are back.As mentioned, removing all fish to QT and going fallow is not an option for me right now. So as an alternative I decided to try polyplab medic. I understand I won't be curing Ich. But perhaps I will be able to make it manageable until I am able to remove all fish and treat with copper or TTM at some point.
So far I am on day 5. Following all instructions on the other discussions here has been really helpful. Interesting to see lots of people have had success with it but many who think it's complete snake oil. Too early to tell but I haven't seen a single white spot for a few days now. All fish behaving normally and eating like pigs so far. No visible scratching either. Will continue to update.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So the tenth day of polyplab medic is here. Haven't seen any whitespots for the previous 6 days. Have I cured it? Probably not. But this thing really seems to work for keeping it manageable at least.
On another note, I got the best CUC I have. A fighting conch. This guy by himself does the work of 3 nassarius and 3 hermits. My sand is as clean as I have seen it. Love him, can't believe I hadn't read about them before.
IMG_20190306_204947.jpeg

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. It's been a while, good news is zero white spots in almost 2 months. This polyplab medic seems to have worked. Maybe it isn't cured, but it's completely managed.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another note, got tired of hauling buckets. So decided to build a better water station. Now I only connect a hose when I want to do a WC.
Also, since it's in the patio, made it a bit more aesthetic.
IMG_20190418_174514.jpeg
IMG_20190418_174534.jpeg

chopdrop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm. I got a zoa colony a few weeks ago, dipped it for around 10 minutes in revive. It was completely hard. But now in the water after a few days it just started noticing like something has grown on the back of the colony rock. And it looks like some kind of brownish soft tissue. Any ideas what this brownish sack could be?
The zoa colony is doing great but I am inclined to just take it out of the tank....

IMG_0412.JPG

did you ever figure out what this is? i've got the same thing on a zoa frag

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you ever figure out what this is? i've got the same thing on a zoa frag
Unfortunately I did not sorry. Mine started to grow like crazy and smother the zoas. It had like 4 different "mouths" in the end. I took it back to my LFS. He said he thought it was a sponge but wasn't sure. Since I am a total noob I didn't want the risk of having something in my tank that I have no idea what it is or could do, so I gave it back to him, exchanged it for another zoa frag. Probably harmless but my paranoia got the best of me haha.

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Quick question for ya.. what are the dimensions of your tank and how many pounds of life rock shapes did you purchase? Im looking at a waterbox 100.3 and thinking about getting 40lbs of shapes and 20lbs of regular life rock. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Quick question for ya.. what are the dimensions of your tank and how many pounds of life rock shapes did you purchase? Im looking at a waterbox 100.3 and thinking about getting 40lbs of shapes and 20lbs of regular life rock. Thanks in advance!
Dimensions are 48x20x22.
Can't remember exactly on the rocks. I believe I purchased 120. Two box of the shapes, one of the flats and one of the sticks.
But I didn't use all of it, I would say maybe a 1/4 of each boxes I didn't use? More or less.
I love them, they were pretty easy to aquascape.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't done an update in a while. I am around the 9 month mark. Have been reading non stop so maybe I have graduated to beginner from absolute noob.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to kessils 360x recently. I wanted to try a mixed reef with a few SPS at the top and my current USA orbits wouldn't work for SPS. They were perfect for my soft and LPS though and I loved how they look and the control so hopefully current USA which has awesome customer support keeps improving their products to include higher intensity lights.
I have been trying to figure out the proper settings on the 360x though, I bleached the few SPS frags I got so far.
I also decided to dump the messy glass covers for a set of tsunami clear view lids. Love them!
IMG_20190706_092033.jpeg

Back