boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and we need pictures of the new tank you tease! lol

here are some pics of what i have gotten so far. I am still doing my research and learning.
-Approx 70g tank. to be cleaned today.
-The stand i got
-Decided on eshopps r 200 sump
-120 Protein skimmer for it
-Overflow box
-and decided to go with some Life rock shapes for my aquascape

1ae1ad7b55e196066734d84b02bbe792.jpg

-I'll start sharing some more as I build along.
bb11ca1b6ecc974367e98ac140143068.jpg
dc576d4a14eeed4793a074c8cd4c9a8c.jpg
9f8f915af20143ce04c1c4c3a7d6be54.jpg
9fb59c1c773d89b19da2abcbf99061ad.jpg

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to this addiction call reef keeping. You seem to be off to a great start. Might I add a suggestion (and its only a suggestion). I would highly reccommend you reconsider that overflow box, and consider getting your tank drilled and using an overflow box like the Eshopp Eclipse S model or the Snergy reef overflow box. The reason is, the one you have works on an over the top syphon, the issuse you might face is you losing your syphon and having to constently restart it. Also it is a recipe for an overflow disaster. If something gets stuck in there, ie. a snail you could come home to water on your floor. I think in the long run you will be happier with that style of overflow box and you will not have to get another tank in about 6 mths when you get tired of restarting the syphon or coming home to a flooded house (pray that doesn't happen). Drilling the tank will be a bit of a pain, but if you are handy with a drill and have patience, you can easily do it yourself or if you have a local LFS, see if they can do it, go to a glass company or find someone in your local reef club, there are many options you can use. Again I think you will get more enjoyment from your tank if you went with another style overflow. Again, just my .02cents. Enjoy and happy reefing.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to this addiction call reef keeping. You seem to be off to a great start. Might I add a suggestion (and its only a suggestion). I would highly reccommend you reconsider that overflow box, and consider getting your tank drilled and using an overflow box like the Eshopp Eclipse S model or the Snergy reef overflow box. The reason is, the one you have works on an over the top syphon, the issuse you might face is you losing your syphon and having to constently restart it. Also it is a recipe for an overflow disaster. If something gets stuck in there, ie. a snail you could come home to water on your floor. I think in the long run you will be happier with that style of overflow box and you will not have to get another tank in about 6 mths when you get tired of restarting the syphon or coming home to a flooded house (pray that doesn't happen). Drilling the tank will be a bit of a pain, but if you are handy with a drill and have patience, you can easily do it yourself or if you have a local LFS, see if they can do it, go to a glass company or find someone in your local reef club, there are many options you can use. Again I think you will get more enjoyment from your tank if you went with another style overflow. Again, just my .02cents. Enjoy and happy reefing.

Thanks lilchris! and thanks for the 2cents. I have been reading on it and I was leaning towards an overflow that wasn't hanged. However, I got my tank second hand and it has a huge sticker on the bottom that says Do not drill the glass enclosure, so that's why I went with the hanging overflow. Do you think I can still get the tank drilled at LFS? (I wouldn't attempt it myself). Or more importantly, should I change tanks before I start because of this issue?

Junglejim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BO, that is some good advice, however I ran a 55g fish tank with that same over flow for 3 years before I upgraded to a bigger tank. My 2 cents is when you sent it up make sure that if you lose suction in the overflow, that the sump pump can only pump a few gallons in to the display tank and visa versa if the return pump fails. Also invest in a lift master pump to keep suction going to the overflow.
Jim

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide what lights to have. There are so many choices out there it's so confusing. Since I am a total noob to the hobby I want to start with just FOWLR but eventually upgrade to some corals once I have the hang of it. Any recommendations for lights I should get?

Last edited:

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom panal cannot be drilled but the side glass should be good to drill. But to be safe, if you have polorized glasses, you can use them to determine if its tempered. There will be wavy lines in the glass when looking through the glasses. You will have to ask your LFS if they will be willing to drill it for you.
If you cannot find anyone to drill it for you then I would reccomend to change tanks before you start.
Lights, if you are only going to do a fowlr tank, I would get the Radion XR30 Gen 4's....:);Drool;Drool;Drool NO I'M JOKING!!! You can get the Chinese Black box LEDs from Ebay or Amazon. They are inexpensive and they will allow you to upgrade to a reef tank in the future if you choose to. Don't rush on the lights, you should get water, salt, LR in your tank and get it cycled. You do not need lights to cycle the tank.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom panal cannot be drilled but the side glass should be good to drill. But to be safe, if you have polorized glasses, you can use them to determine if its tempered. There will be wavy lines in the glass when looking through the glasses. You will have to ask your LFS if they will be willing to drill it for you.
If you cannot find anyone to drill it for you then I would reccomend to change tanks before you start.
Lights, if you are only going to do a fowlr tank, I would get the Radion XR30 Gen 4's....:);Drool;Drool;Drool NO I'M JOKING!!! You can get the Chinese Black box LEDs from Ebay or Amazon. They are inexpensive and they will allow you to upgrade to a reef tank in the future if you choose to. Don't rush on the lights, you should get water, salt, LR in your tank and get it cycled. You do not need lights to cycle the tank.

Thanks again for the advice lilchris! After talking to the LFS about drilling (he wouldn't chance it) and looking at the cost of new tanks (I got this one second hand for free :)), I think I will wait for when I am no longer a noobie and perhaps upgrade to a bigger tank, its just too much of a cost and a big hassle right now for me.
In the meantime, since it looks like I am not getting the ideal setup with this overflow, I was reading this thread on the Overflow Syphons and decided I'll go with the eshopps one I have, looks like many people have had successful experiences as long as the flow is correct. I'll look into the lift master pump Junglejim recommended too.

Regarding the lights I'll look at the ones you mentioned and report back!

Thanks!

Junglejim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the black box LED's, roughly 100 bucks a pop and you can fine tune the color to get what you want. If you do plan on going reef down the line with the same rock, don't use copper based medicine ever!

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. I read somewhere that my return had to go on opposite corner of the overflow to get the best flow. Piping straight up from the sump would be the easiest of course instead of the current path I have above. Does it really matter? aren't the powerheads providing enough flow anyway? Appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run it straight up. If you do that I would add a locline that way you could point where you want to flow coming out. I have an in take overflow and my returns are pointed out of the return so it would kind of be like the same thing.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run it straight up. If you do that I would add a locline that way you could point where you want to flow coming out. I have an in take overflow and my returns are pointed out of the return so it would kind of be like the same thing.

Thanks! do you think this will work? much less parts to fail. Have a locline at top.

eca0994028353479cd8a91e2dd6c9a64.jpg

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! do you think this will work? much less parts to fail. Have a locline at top.

eca0994028353479cd8a91e2dd6c9a64.jpg
Two things on your plumbing. You need to ditch the copper barbed fitting on your return and replace it with a PVC fitting. Bulk reef supplies has any and ever thing you need if your local hardware doesn't have what you need. I would also recommend adding a quick disconnect to your overflow line as well and get some plastic hose clamps for all of your tubing connections to prevent leaks as you will have them with out the clamps. BRS also carries them.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.9%
Back