Cw-200 algae scrubber can’t harvest for 5 weeks

Jeff Crawford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cw -200 algae scrubber question. I must leave for 5 weeks , everything is basically automatic but will tbe scrubber clog up in 5 weeks? How long can you go without a harvest? Can you slow the growth with shorter time or set for too many hours to slow by burn ?

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce photo period, slow down flow, set to turn off during the night or day, or as stated turn it off.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,

Anyone know how long it goes before clogging?

That would entirely depend on flow, lighting, photo period and tank nutrients. In other words, for some people it would clog in a week, for others they could probably go for months.,

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, do you think it would slow down at a say,,,6 hour light cycle?
yes I think it would but it may not hold the numbers you want due to lack of growth. I’m kinda in the “experimenting phase” with mine so I’ve been watching it like a hawk and monitoring photo periods. I was using 8 hours after I bottomed out my nitrates at 24/7 and the screen would not fill in like it does now on 18 hours. I’m not sure if it would ever get “full” on that low of hours though. I’ve never purposefully tried to clog it via lack of cleaning.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 6 hours would it really be doing anything nutrient reduction wise? I’m not sure. Probably SOMETHING….but if I was willing to run it at 6 hours I’d probably be willing just to keep the lights off for a few weeks if I was gone or get someone to clean it 2 or 3 times while I’m gone and not alter the current light period.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your system can otherwise go without the scrubber running, take the screen out and scrape/rinse, and secure it in the sump so that it says wet. The algae will survive for a long time with very little light, as long as it stays wet. You can even put it in a bucket/tray with some tank water, outside of the tank. The screen might look pretty dead/white when you get back, but it will pop right back.

That's the safe bet.

Otherwise, as others have said, dial the flow back, give it light only in short bursts (an hour or so, 2-3x per day) and that will keep it alive also. Scrape well and rinse well before you leave (you don't need to "scrub" it). The only downside for this approach is that if you have some kind of clog, and the screen doesn't get water, you'll cook it and then you'll have to soak in vinegar and start from scratch. Or if the water creeps out of the box (somehow) then you have water on the floor. Neither of these are highly likely, but I try to go by Murphy's Laws.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Crawford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your system can otherwise go without the scrubber running, take the screen out and scrape/rinse, and secure it in the sump so that it says wet. The algae will survive for a long time with very little light, as long as it stays wet. You can even put it in a bucket/tray with some tank water, outside of the tank. The screen might look pretty dead/white when you get back, but it will pop right back.

That's the safe bet.

Otherwise, as others have said, dial the flow back, give it light only in short bursts (an hour or so, 2-3x per day) and that will keep it alive also. Scrape well and rinse well before you leave (you don't need to "scrub" it). The only downside for this approach is that if you have some kind of clog, and the screen doesn't get water, you'll cook it and then you'll have to soak in vinegar and start from scratch. Or if the water creeps out of the box (somehow) then you have water on the floor. Neither of these are highly likely, but I try to go by Murphy's Laws.
Thats some good advice, thank you very much

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.8%
Back