Cyano and Chemiclean

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have an 8 month old 180 reef which has had few issues and has had some KP live rock added over time. Associated with that I have had a well established white tubular sponge colonizi itself throughout the rock work
been running a little high on nitrates even with lush Chaeto and have had my first cyano creep in. Have been managing with suction UV and lowered feeding but it has started affecting some of the SPS.
So with the support of a well experienced LFS owner i ran Chemiclean session.
Apart from the expected run away reef octopus skimmer I was pleased at the 36 hour reduction in bacterial mass.

However, and reason for the post, all the sponge is shredding throughout the tank.
1) is this typical and customary with this treatment and
2) apart from my planned fresh carbon change and 40 gal water change tomorrow morning is there anything I can do to blunt the effect of dying sponges.

worried about the massive die off, release of excess silicates..
thanks in advance

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Would not expect general sponge sensitivity.
If you have Chaeto growing I wouldn't worry about dangerous nutrient release. You'll have a low level just from the cyano die-off anyway. And a little Si release will be a good thing as it might help harmless diatoms replace the cyano.

OP
OP
bnord

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks and tank is holding steady. - ran fresh carbon and a major water change
the older larger “tubes“ all shredded up and I picked the strands, and today saw some new growth
cyano seems abated for now
also could not find any of the pineapple sponges that were in the chaeto but really didn’t look too hard
left skimmer off for 2 days and started up and after 2-4 hours it was back to more or less normal

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back