Cyano Battle

panamaed117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been fighting cyano in my tank. This is my first tank so it's my learning experience. I recently noticed that my flow was lacking. Had a Hydor Seltz D but seems to be slowing down. Even all the way max, was not getting any more flow. I dipped it in muriatic acid and water, got it cleaned up, still no luck. When I test, nitrates are around 5 to 7, and 0 for phosphates. I figured Cyano was taking up the nutrients. But since I see cyano, I have excess nutrients. I notice the cyano would only grow on one side of the tank, why I look at my flow. I have a nero 3, but with my return pump dying, not much flow in the tank. I picked up a Sycnra 6 and that seems to get the flow going. I also added a protein skimmer a few days ago. The skimmer still being broken in, so a few more days. Figure with added flow, skimmer, and will do weekly water changes, that should help. We will see. Stay Tuned!!!!

Tank Specs:

Waterbox Frag 55

4 Fish
1Pistol Shrimp
Clean up crew, snails, hermit crabs, and 3 bumblebee snails
3 or 4 corals(waiting on tank to stabilize before I add anything else)

Last edited:

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been fighting cyano in my tank. This is my first tank so it's my learning experience. I recently noticed that my flow was lacking. Had a Hydor Seltz D but seems to be slowing down. Even all the way max, was not getting any more flow. I dipped it in muriatic acid and water, got it cleaned up, still no luck. When I test, nitrates are around 5 to 7, and 0 for phosphates. I figured Cyano was taking up the nutrients. But since I see cyano, I have excess nutrients. I notice the cyano would only grow on one side of the tank, why I look at my flow. I have a nero 3, but with my return pump dying, not much flow in the tank. I picked up a Sycnra 6 and that seems to get the flow going. I also added a protein skimmer a few days ago. The skimmer still being broken in, so a few more days. Figure with added flow, skimmer, and will do weekly water changes, that should help. We will see. Stay Tuned!!!!

Tank Specs:

Waterbox Frag 55

4 Fish
1Pistol Shrimp
Clean up crew, snails, hermit crabs, and 3 bumblebee snails
3 or 4 corals(waiting on tank to stabilize before I add anything else)
Sounds like a good plan. Give it time to work. Cyano is ugly but the reality is it wont hurt anything. It may take a few weeks to subside, but keep at it.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have thought this through. If you have identified the cause and made corrections, maybe dose a round of chemiclean. Toothbrush it off, siphon what you can and then dose the rest. Just be sure to add an airstone for the two days that you have dosed and then do a water change. Do not run UV or carbon while dosing. Your skimmer will go wild but it will return to normal in a few days.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back