Cyano Dieoff causing Phosphate Spike?

Jdubs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my tank is getting to the end of the cyano stage after tank startup. Can the cyano going away cause a phosphate spike from .09 to .51? My nitrates are staying at 2 ppm with my weekly water change of 20%. I’ve also been feeding with flake food. Could that be the cause? Thanks for the help.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can cause a phosphate spike for sure if you had a decent amount. Anything dying in mass can lead to waste levels going up. As for flakes, it could be an issue if you have lots of flakes not being eaten.

OP
OP
Jdubs

Jdubs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou. I don’t over feed so that’s probably not the issue. There was a good amount of cyano before but not a massive amount. Thank you
It can cause a phosphate spike for sure if you had a decent amount. Anything dying in mass can lead to waste levels going up. As for flakes, it could be an issue if you have lots of flakes not being eaten.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.5 isn't something to panic about and can easily be brought down by some media or a water change or two!

OP
OP
Jdubs

Jdubs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.5 isn't something to panic about and can easily be brought down by some media or a water change or two!
Good to hear. Everything seems fine so I plan on doing a water change tomorrow

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my tank is getting to the end of the cyano stage after tank startup. Can the cyano going away cause a phosphate spike from .09 to .51? My nitrates are staying at 2 ppm with my weekly water change of 20%. I’ve also been feeding with flake food. Could that be the cause? Thanks for the help.
How much flake food do you add a day? What is the % phosphorous in the flake food? How many gallons in your system?

OP
OP
Jdubs

Jdubs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flake food do you add a day? What is the % phosphorous in the flake food? How many gallons in your system?
I add just enough for what the fish eat. It says it has min 1.1% phosphorus. The whole system is 130 gallons including sump. I did a 20 gallon water change this morning and the phosphate went from .51 to .18 so I feel like it’s the cyano releasing phosphate as it dies off.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add just enough for what the fish eat. It says it has min 1.1% phosphorus. The whole system is 130 gallons including sump. I did a 20 gallon water change this morning and the phosphate went from .51 to .18 so I feel like it’s the cyano releasing phosphate as it dies off.

The observed drop in PO4 seems larger than you should have gotten from that size water change.

OP
OP
Jdubs

Jdubs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been a bad test. I use a Hanna ulr phosphate tester.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back