Cyano, dinos, algae oh my!

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this pest growing around my tank and annoying corals. People have recommended taking rock out and letting it soak in hydrogen peroxide, but most of my rock is glued together, making this a very difficult task. There are bubbles present, making me theorize cyano, but it doesn’t go away at night. It doesn’t come off in a dust or powder, making me not think dinos. Any thoughts? Perhaps it’s some kind of hair algae that’s catching micro bubbles in the water column?
I added vibrant 2 days ago, but there seems to be no effect. I scrubbed the glass clean and did a 50% water change today hoping to remove some of the nutrients. (Some of my smaller corals were being smothered)

My parameters are:

SG: 1.026
Temp: 78°F
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
NO3: 5
PO4: ? (Getting test kit tomorrow)
Alk: 7
I’ll attach my light schedule- it’s an AI Prime 16 for a 6 month old, 16g softie/LPS tank

I got the template for the lights from a YouTube video about the AI Prime, and although I think the lights are a bit intense, the corals seem very happy

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

1C24DE34-D6D2-40AA-AAB1-6EF85DB252AE.png 7BCEA721-0868-4009-BB3C-2B7AD9CE58F7.png E6EE58F4-0CC8-4E02-A56A-C00DAE922C23.png

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does not look like cyano or dinos. Looks like hair algae to me, but could be wrong.

Cyano will definitely fade with the lights off. Algae creates oxygen as every other plant/algae does. If the water is oxygen saturated you will see bubbles.

Vibrant will take awhile before you notice anything. Takes weeks instead of days. Have you tried a 3 day blackout yet?

Your tank is pretty new, how are you exporting nutrients?

OP
OP
RedFrog211

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does not look like cyano or dinos. Looks like hair algae to me, but could be wrong.

Cyano will definitely fade with the lights off. Algae creates oxygen as every other plant/algae does. If the water is oxygen saturated you will see bubbles.

Vibrant will take awhile before you notice anything. Takes weeks instead of days. Have you tried a 3 day blackout yet?

Your tank is pretty new, how are you exporting nutrients?
Only taking care of nutrients through water changes. I haven’t tried a 3 day black out because I recently received some corals that didn’t take shipping so well (baby blasto pictured above) if you think it wouldn’t harm corals, I’d be willing to try it!

Back