Cyano, dinos, or other?

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been battling dinos for the last 2 months. After acquiring a UV sterilizer and doing several 3 day blackouts I finally rid myself of the bulk of it and my aquarium looks good however I still have stuff popping up on my substrates. It looks different from the dinos I had because those were long and stringy.

At this point it appears to be spreading on the substrate and I have seen a small number of air bubbles (like maybe 2-3). It also seems to be growing on the glass and I clean it off every 8 hrs or so.

I pulled the sterilizer off a week ago after letting the tank get dirty and running it for about a month.

Am I still battling dinos or is this something different? Tank is about 9 months old. Water parameters are a bit elevated with nitrates around 15-20ppm.

C8FDFA7E-DABC-4E4D-AA58-AD6D7E9F0644.jpeg BD868E23-301B-45F7-AC32-AF1C9EC0D064.jpeg FD53A42D-FAF5-41B4-878E-D8EBB344455A.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been battling dinos for the last 2 months. After acquiring a UV sterilizer and doing several 3 day blackouts I finally rid myself of the bulk of it and my aquarium looks good however I still have stuff popping up on my substrates. It looks different from the dinos I had because those were long and stringy.

At this point it appears to be spreading on the substrate and I have seen a small number of air bubbles (like maybe 2-3). It also seems to be growing on the glass and I clean it off every 8 hrs or so.

I pulled the sterilizer off a week ago after letting the tank get dirty and running it for about a month.

Am I still battling dinos or is this something different? Tank is about 9 months old. Water parameters are a bit elevated with nitrates around 15-20ppm.

C8FDFA7E-DABC-4E4D-AA58-AD6D7E9F0644.jpeg BD868E23-301B-45F7-AC32-AF1C9EC0D064.jpeg FD53A42D-FAF5-41B4-878E-D8EBB344455A.jpeg
it looks like still dinos to me

have you tried using an airhose and siphoning those out? I'd turn your UV back on. Do you have refugium with macroalgae?

This is a helpful post, though you will not like that it tells you to leave your glass dirty...

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye
it looks like still dinos to me

have you tried using an airhose and siphoning those out? I'd turn your UV back on. Do you have refugium with macroalgae?

This is a helpful post, though you will not like that it tells you to leave your glass dirty...
s I’ve tried siphoning them multiple times. Just tested my phosphates and it’s at 2mg/l. I really don’t have a lot of algae in the tank competing with the dinos so I’m wondering if I should get an algae reactor. I’ve never owned one though...any thoughts on what I might get?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye

s I’ve tried siphoning them multiple times. Just tested my phosphates and it’s at 2mg/l. I really don’t have a lot of algae in the tank competing with the dinos so I’m wondering if I should get an algae reactor. I’ve never owned one though...any thoughts on what I might get?
defer to others on algae reactor

+1 vote for refugium with macroalgae (recommend Red Ogo type macroalgae)
===== if you have a sump, perhaps within section of sump, but there are other types
+1 vote turn back on your UV sterilizer
+1 vote keep siphoning as part of your water changes (more frequent)

Just keep going. Its getting better, per your first post. Try to keep tank stable.

Your fire shrimp seems happy in photo! Celebrate progresses you have made!!!

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
defer to others on algae reactor

+1 vote for refugium with macroalgae (recommend Red Ogo type macroalgae)
===== if you have a sump, perhaps within section of sump, but there are other types
+1 vote turn back on your UV sterilizer
+1 vote keep siphoning as part of your water changes (more frequent)

Just keep going. Its getting better, per your first post. Try to keep tank stable.

Your fire shrimp seems happy in photo! Celebrate progresses you have made!!!
I have an aio with a hidden sump on back of tank can I just throw some in the back? I assume I’d need some supplemental lighting?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aio with a hidden sump on back of tank can I just throw some in the back? I assume I’d need some supplemental lighting?
yes probably! My light is just a $7 60w LED equivalent 5000k home improvement lightbulb... that is $7 for two bulbs!! best deal yet for my tank <wink> This is where I found out about the bulb and it's been awesome:

This is where I got my ogo:

Also, that earlier post reminded me about running carbon in case they release toxins. If you don't have something to put carbon in, you could cutup a nylon stocking and put active carbon in toe/foot, tie closed with rubber band and toss that in your hidden sump too

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got a microscope? I would get one. You may have more than one type of Dinos. I had 2 types only one free swimming dealt with UV but the other one was a sand dwelling one. You can’t really tell diatoms and Dinos apart by just looking at it.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In one of the pictures it sort of looks like diatoms to me but I am totally open to correction. What are your nitrates and phosphates?

Post #10 of this thread has a diatom photo (might be!):

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got a microscope? I would get one. You may have more than one type of Dinos. I had 2 types only one free swimming dealt with UV but the other one was a sand dwelling one. You can’t really tell diatoms and Dinos apart by just looking at it.
I will get a microscope and take a look. this idea of having different types definitely crossed my mind because these seem to be resistant to uv and are not long filaments like the kind I beat a few weeks ago.

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post #10 of this thread has a diatom photo (might be!):
It could be as it fits look similar but I’ve noticed a few air bubbles (really just like 3 so not many). I was under the impression that diatoms didn’t produce air bubbles. Could be coincidence though.

Schoolfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a simple thing by adding pods and dose phytoplankton. It might seem worthless, until you try it.

Schoolfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is Dinos, my approach was to throw everything at it. I increased temperature, added UV, made sure nutrients, PO4 and No3, is detectable. Stop water changes(but still siphon, see if that helps. Some say give more light hours, others say shorten the light period. I also purchased a Hanna silica checker and dosed Silica keeping it at 2ppm. There is still some on the sand bed, but each time you do something to decrease the dinos it knocks it back perhaps 20%. Its better than nothing. I am down to the last 10% of dinos.

Perhaps its diatoms. A microscope is worthwhile to identify if it is Dinos or which type of Dinos it is so you can approach it correctly.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be as it fits look similar but I’ve noticed a few air bubbles (really just like 3 so not many). I was under the impression that diatoms didn’t produce air bubbles. Could be coincidence though.
they do sometimes. In my experience bubbles doesn't confirm it either way

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes probably! My light is just a $7 60w LED equivalent 5000k home improvement lightbulb... that is $7 for two bulbs!! best deal yet for my tank <wink> This is where I found out about the bulb and it's been awesome:

This is where I got my ogo:

Also, that earlier post reminded me about running carbon in case they release toxins. If you don't have something to put carbon in, you could cutup a nylon stocking and put active carbon in toe/foot, tie closed with rubber band and toss that in your hidden sump too
Thanks for all your suggestions. Its been a real help... going to follow all of them. Just bought some red ogo per your suggestion and a small cheapo light. Why do you prefer red ogo by the way? I find most people tend to mention chaeto when reading about macro algae. No idea on my part as I haven't kept macro algae, but just curious why some people prefer one over the other.

Turned the sterilizer back on and am resuming water changes to stabilize the water params back to a lower nitrate value (this has had me particularly concerned). Also going to suction sand to try to get as much off during each water change.

Ordered a digital microscope off amazon and will attempt to identify whether these are dinos or diatoms.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your suggestions. Its been a real help... going to follow all of them. Just bought some red ogo per your suggestion and a small cheapo light. Why do you prefer red ogo by the way? I find most people tend to mention chaeto when reading about macro algae. No idea on my part as I haven't kept macro algae, but just curious why some people prefer one over the other.

Turned the sterilizer back on and am resuming water changes to stabilize the water params back to a lower nitrate value (this has had me particularly concerned). Also going to suction sand to try to get as much off during each water change.

Ordered a digital microscope off amazon and will attempt to identify whether these are dinos or diatoms.
My 5 Reasons Red Ogo vs Chaeto:

1) chaeto broke into bits in my sump
---- 2 golf ball size chaeto batches on different days but added within same week
---- purchased red ogo, chaeto & sea lettuce macroalgaes all at same time from same clean source
---- never ordered more chaeto ... too tough for fish & annoying such tiny starter bits flowed out of my refugium and never grew wherever they went in DT
---- never ordered more sea lettuce ... my fish didn't like too much & grew slow
2) Red Ogo tender enough to become DT herbivore snack
3) Red Ogo grows amazing with LED light mentioned (see above post #6)
---- daily remove Red Ogo from sump to clip in main tank as herbivore snack
4) saving money on Nori snack purchases because use of Red Ogo as snack
5) Circle of Life Philosophy
---- fish produce waste, waste feeds macroalgae, macroalgae grows, fish eat macroalgae, fish produce waste, repeat, repeat

PS - also added Dragon Tongue from different source but grows too slow and except for end bits also seems to tough for my fish so not getting more or recommending this either. To be recommended, must grow FAST in sump

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update for everyone. I am fairly certain these are actually diatoms. I did get a microscope to attempt to ID this and noticed that once i sucked it up it never tried to clump back together which my prior dinos always did. It has not attacked my corals nor does it appear to be releasing any toxins as my corals are all doing way better after defeating the last round of dinos. My tanks doesn't even seem to notice this stuff on the sand. I'm attempting to use phosbond for a limited time to remove some excess silicates in the water, but I assume I just need to let this run its course.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update for everyone. I am fairly certain these are actually diatoms. I did get a microscope to attempt to ID this and noticed that once i sucked it up it never tried to clump back together which my prior dinos always did. It has not attacked my corals nor does it appear to be releasing any toxins as my corals are all doing way better after defeating the last round of dinos. My tanks doesn't even seem to notice this stuff on the sand. I'm attempting to use phosbond for a limited time to remove some excess silicates in the water, but I assume I just need to let this run its course.
Did you take any pictures?
If you are certain it is diatoms that is a good news. They will run out fairly quickly without you doing anything.

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you take any pictures?
If you are certain it is diatoms that is a good news. They will run out fairly quickly without you doing anything.
I’ll take another tomorrow when the lights come back on...it essentially looks the same as the first picture I posted

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 46 58.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back