Cyano help

TheShepherdTrio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tank is currently just over 3 months old and we’re dealing with the worst Cyano outbreak we’ve ever dealt with. Our 75 gallon never had these issues but our 210 is struggling massively. I’m not 100% sure why either as maintenance wise, we have been much better about the upkeep on this tank than we were with our 75.

Parameters:
PH- 8.2
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 5-10
DKH- 8
Calcium- 530
Phosphate- 87ppb/.267ppm

I know the phosphate is high and we’re working on trying to bring that down. We do weekly water changes averaging about 15%. Use a turkey baster to blow the rocks and crevices out before a water change to try and get as much into the water column to suck out as possible. Recently ordered a GFO reactor to try and help pull the phosphates down. That should be here this week sometime.

We only use RODI water and never tap. We use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals for our salt. We started out using the Instant Ocean Sea Salt but did recently switch over to the Reef Crystals about 3ish weeks ago or so. (Cyano was already an issue so I don’t think the salt change was the cause)

We change the filter socks every few days. Also take a net and try to scoop up as much as we can off the sand bed without taking too much sand when doing water changes. Running two 4K gyres and have quite a bit of flow going through the tank. We also do our best to not over feed. (Have several tangs in the tank so we feed more nori/sea veggies in pouch clips than anything else, which they happily eat every piece and leave nothing behind.)

Anyway, we would greatly appreciate any suggestions on what we can do to help this subside. Don’t mind using chemiclean if needed, but also would like to try and manage this naturally if possible too.

Thanks for any help!

48E0D025-6082-4D39-90FD-976794E57F46.jpeg
4787BD1E-1101-40A2-86DD-EE2FF7BF4B8D.jpeg
EA17C105-B36D-4D3A-BBC3-1DA2337315C7.jpeg

Franco1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 seams fine if anything a little low to me not 0 but not over .03. what kind of flow do you have going?
I have delt with cyano in a reefer 170 and have found flow to be the biggest culprit.

Looks like dead spots maybe.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back