Cyano I think in sump? How to get rid of it?

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I start, better off in the sump than display right? :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Anyways, I did have a little bit of Cyano in my display a couple months ago. I am not sure if this is just a thicker longer type of Cyano that is currently in my sump. I am glad whatever it is, is only localized in my sump, but it getting intertwined in my chaeto causing it to stay on the surface. The chaeto is pretty much useless at this point as I cannot separate enough clean chaeto away from this floating mess. I have scooped some of it out before it starts to fall apart before and it keeps growing back. What do you guys think it is and how do I get rid of it so I can keep chaeto growing cleanly.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask so many questions on this forum I forgot to come back and post a new video. My toddler lost all my flashlights so I tried to take a better video and zoom in on the algae/cyano. Unfortunately red light is still there.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is usully from a nutrient issue, but also really only happens in low flow areas. I would increase the flow rate in that sump as it looks to be very low and it should go away

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is usully from a nutrient issue, but also really only happens in low flow areas. I would increase the flow rate in that sump as it looks to be very low and it should go away

So though I love my tank, I think waterbox’s sumps suck, they don’t tolerate high flow through the sump (currently got about 1000gph going through since my cor20 pump is at about 50-60%). My nutrients were sky high for awhile, recently lowered them slowly over that last couple months from 0.76 po4/ 38 no3 to 0.12 po4 and 12-14 no3.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also dealt with cyano from changing to lower nutrient levels. I think it has to do with a slight biological instability and the red slime is very opportunistic so it can take advantage of that and take hold for a little while. I think it should subside if you keep the new nutrient levels stable for a longer duration (couple of months). If it is only in the sump it really isnt going to be an issue

Interesting note about the waterbox though. Does it end up pushing air bubbles through the return pump if you turn up the power on the pump? I have dealt with that when the bubble trap baffles are made too close together

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it full of debris? I feel like I see a ton of debris in there.

Do a water change, suck it all out, add a powerhead to increase flow.

and yes the premade sumps that come with waterbox and red sea are "meh". I think it's nice IM sump is a optional add on tbh..

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also dealt with cyano from changing to lower nutrient levels. I think it has to do with a slight biological instability and the red slime is very opportunistic so it can take advantage of that and take hold for a little while. I think it should subside if you keep the new nutrient levels stable for a longer duration (couple of months). If it is only in the sump it really isnt going to be an issue

Interesting note about the waterbox though. Does it end up pushing air bubbles through the return pump if you turn up the power on the pump? I have dealt with that when the bubble trap baffles are made too close together

It was only in my sump but since lowering my nutrients I have noticed some on the sandbed and also gha as well. It is ironic you try to lower nutrients to prevent problems but get a whole new set of them lol.

The pump does not push air bubbles up it is just the sump gets extremely noisy and I can’t mentally cope with a noisy tank haha.

Is it full of debris? I feel like I see a ton of debris in there.

Do a water change, suck it all out, add a powerhead to increase flow.

and yes the premade sumps that come with waterbox and red sea are "meh". I think it's nice IM sump is a optional add on tbh..

The detritus seems to mostly settle in my refugium area, so yes, totally loaded with debris. Whats the best way to suck the debris from the bottom since you can’t siphon a sump really?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back