Cyano is driving me nuts

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is driving me nuts… I’ve increased flow. I use a UV. Parameters are on point every time I test… I siphon every week and it comes back within days. I am trying to avoid chemiclean…

I began adding live phyto from algae barn because I read that can help out compete it but hasn’t made a difference… it’s not hurting anything but just ugly! Not sure what else to do. Anyone have idea?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've heard phyto can take a while to work it's magic. I've just started dosing, we shall see in time if there are noticeable benefits. I am doing so to increase pod population. With that said, I have used chemi clean a couple different times on different systems with good results. Increasing flow and balanced nutrients are very helpful afterwards

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've heard months of continuous use for one to notice results while others say they still don't see any. I've heard cyano is an imbalance in nutrients which allows the bacteria to out compete the others. I'm not sure if it would solve it but maybe try dosing bacter7 in addition with the phyto. I really hope it works out for you. Cyano stinks, I just dealt with some a month or so ago

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked your alkalinity lately? I am battling a cyano outbreak right now and just tested KH and mine is really low. It has always been stable before, and I'm wondering if there is a correlation. The rest of my parameters are all within normal range, too.

OP
OP
dmy535

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked your alkalinity lately? I am battling a cyano outbreak right now and just tested KH and mine is really low. It has always been stable before, and I'm wondering if there is a correlation. The rest of my parameters are all within normal range, too.
DKH = 9.0

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Came across this product while reading more into KZ products, apparently some use it to treat cyano... who knows, might be worth a shot. I use their aminos which are priced well for the amount. Best of luck, keep us posted

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant clears it up rather quick but be careful with it. It isn’t bacteria like they claim it’s likely a polyquat and a carbon source.

OP
OP
dmy535

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This too

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

This too
Even better :)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of that 2 species week crap algaebarn sells. It won't do squat but feed pods. I used to dose it daily for a couple years, didn't do squat for my persistent cyano(never really a problem, just very unsightly on the sandbed).

Found a thread on here from @Eldredge about the phyto he sells, read very positive feedback, so thought I would give it a shot. Heck even if it didn't work like everyone claims it does, it's still cheaper then algaebarn.

Seriously it's loads cheaper then algaebarn, and way denser. Just read his thread, he has comparison pics.

I really cannot say enough good about the phyto @Eldredge sells. He harvests every monday for tuesday shipping(3 day shipping standard included in his price) so you know it's fresh. And hes a great guy to do business with, plus your supporting fellow hobbyist, and not some "big box" store.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Get rid of that 2 species week crap algaebarn sells. It won't do squat but feed pods. I used to dose it daily for a couple years, didn't do squat for my persistent cyano(never really a problem, just very unsightly on the sandbed).

Found a thread on here from @Eldredge about the phyto he sells, read very positive feedback, so thought I would give it a shot. Heck even if it didn't work like everyone claims it does, it's still cheaper then algaebarn.

Seriously it's loads cheaper then algaebarn, and way denser. Just read his thread, he has comparison pics.

I really cannot say enough good about the phyto @Eldredge sells. He harvests every monday for tuesday shipping(3 day shipping standard included in his price) so you know it's fresh. And hes a great guy to do business with, plus your supporting fellow hobbyist, and not some "big box" store.
I also just made an order from @Eldredge :)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bi-weekly deliveries.

Couldn't be easier to be quite honest. He sends me a paypal invoice every 2 weeks, I pay it, and I get a fresh bottle of phyto on friday/saturday(one of the drawback to living in a rural area).

If I ever have issues, I simply send him a PM on here, and he makes it right(rarely happens), sometimes at his own cost.

It really couldn't be any easier.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have bi-weekly deliveries.

Couldn't be easier to be quite honest. He sends me a paypal invoice every 2 weeks, I pay it, and I get a fresh bottle of phyto on friday/saturday(one of the drawback to living in a rural area).

If I ever have issues, I simply send him a PM on here, and he makes it right(rarely happens), sometimes at his own cost.

It really couldn't be any easier.
Very cool! I've heard only good things about his phyto, excited to try it. Thank you for your input :)

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is driving me nuts… I’ve increased flow. I use a UV. Parameters are on point every time I test… I siphon every week and it comes back within days. I am trying to avoid chemiclean…

I began adding live phyto from algae barn because I read that can help out compete it but hasn’t made a difference… it’s not hurting anything but just ugly! Not sure what else to do. Anyone have idea?
Diamond goby does great my sand bed is beautiful

OP
OP
dmy535

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto hasn’t been doing anything. In fact Cyano appears to be getting worse. Did my weekly testing and now my NO3 is down to about 2ppm and my phosphates are 0.00 with the Hannah ULR when it was 0.03…. I’m wondering if the phyto is causing it to lower? Did some reading and algae barn indicates that phyto will consume nitrates and lower phosphates… ugh… no wonder the cyano was getting worse. Thing I’m going to be getting some doctor tims! And feeding a little heavier this week! Have some neophos from brightwell to help boost the phosphates back up so hoping that works…

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back