Cyano, no phosphate and GSP

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!
So, my tank is still relatively new (almost a year) and I've been battling with low (and unbalanced) nutrients for some months now.
3 months ago my turbos started to grow Cyano in their shells, I started brushing them outside the tank to remove the cyano and rinsing them before getting them back to the tank and this has worked great for quite a while but this week the cyano finally jumped over to the bottom of the tank and is starting to spread on my live rock.

Also, about 3 weeks ago my GSP started to not fully extend so I went to my LFS and they recommended me to start dosing live phyto (that they culture themselves) and ghost feeding to get my nutrients up. I have been seeing some improvement on the GSP but also more algae as the time passes.

My last reading was 15ppm nitrate (API) and 0/undetectable phosphates (Salifert)
I also noticed Green Hair Algae in my sump 3 days ago

Since I have been dosing and feeding pretty heavily Im pretty shure that the nutrients are being stolen by the algae, the question is:
Do I keep dosing and feeding to get the nutrients leveled despite having an increase in the Cyano or should I stop for now until the algae receds?
Thanks!

Livestock:
Pulsing Xenia
Green Star Polyp
3 Mushroom corals
3 Mexican turbos
Small ball of chaeto in the sump

Chemistry:
15ppm nitrate (API)
0ppm phosphate (Salifert)

Dosing:
Live phytoplancton cultured by the LFS
Thera+ new life spectrum pellets

PS: the photos are a few months old and the GSP is a little bit better now (still not the same as before)

IMG_20210927_200548.jpg IMG_20211127_113526.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
API kits are notorious for false readings and may be part of issue in which it may be higher than kit is showing

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get GHA in the sump? Do you have a light source in there running a fuge?

Dose neophos to bring phosphate number up. Your nitrates are fine, water changes will bring it down a little but as long as you have corals they will use that nitrate to.

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API kits are notorious for false readings and may be part of issue in which it may be higher than kit is showing
Yeah, I would never buy API again haha, it was a rookie mistake but I don't want to just throw it away so I'm just waiting for it to be completely empty. Next time I'll absolutely buy salifert.

How do you get GHA in the sump? Do you have a light source in there running a fuge?

Dose neophos to bring phosphate number up. Your nitrates are fine, water changes will bring it down a little but as long as you have corals they will use that nitrate to.
That's correct, I have a small ball of chaeto in there.
I have looked everywhere for neophos in Mexico and it simply doesn't exists :(
Also, my LFS adviced me against using it

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't performed any water change in 3 weeks or so in order to let my phosphates up, should I perform one ASAP?

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home to find even more cyano, this is not looking good guys. I'll run my tests again tomorrow morning

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I just ran my test again and currently I have:
- 0.015ppm phosphates (I used the high resolution mode on the salifert test)
- 15ppm nitrates

GSP is completely closed for the third consecutive day. This is normal when I clean it but it should have opened today so I looked more carefully at it and found a very small patch of cyano in it (amongst other algae). You can see the cyano at the very top of the GSP. In the photo

Looks like not a good day for me haha

Attachments

• IMG_20211209_110444.jpg
    IMG_20211209_110444.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can try

Red Cyano Rx - Blue Life USA​

I'm trying to avoid chemicals for the moment but I'll absolutely consider it if I do need to use chemicals, thanks!

One of my turbo snails just died today, I bought it aprox 1 year ago. Is this normal or is this something related to the cyano?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back