Cyano on sand?

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano on sand. Iv had this saltwater tank for 4 months now. Iv had a nutrients crash a month ago where my nitrate and phosphate was 0 completely for a while before i knew about it. Now iv been dosing for a few weeks now and its back to 0.05 phosphate and 10 nitrate. What should i for my cyano? Should i wait it out? I just usually blow on the sand tk break it apart. But its coming back the next day. I do water change every 3 weeks 5 gallons.

All my corals doing good. No issues. Just that ugly red cyano on sand. Any solutions?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano on sand. Iv had this saltwater tank for 4 months now. Iv had a nutrients crash a month ago where my nitrate and phosphate was 0 completely for a while before i knew about it. Now iv been dosing for a few weeks now and its back to 0.05 phosphate and 10 nitrate. What should i for my cyano? Should i wait it out? I just usually blow on the sand tk break it apart. But its coming back the next day. I do water change every 3 weeks 5 gallons.

All my corals doing good. No issues. Just that ugly red cyano on sand. Any solutions?
Could you post some pictures and the product that you have used to raid nitrates?
How often and what you feed ( frozen pellets etc..)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post some pictures and the product that you have used to raid nitrates?
How often and what you feed ( frozen pellets etc..)
I used neonitro by brightwell for nitrate. After the first dew doses. My nitrate was stable 8-10 ever since so i stopped dosing that. Now i dose every 3-4 neophos by brightwell as well to keep phosphate low. I feed daily frozen. I dont overfeed. I use like 1 cube for 2 weeks if not more sometimes.

Upvote 0

jasonvan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i had some cyano between the glass and sand. i find i need to move the sand and scrape the glass. adding a decent size uv took care of most of it. chemiclean also worked in the past when it was bad. the protein skimmer was all red from it.

Upvote 0

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used neonitro by brightwell for nitrate. After the first dew doses. My nitrate was stable 8-10 ever since so i stopped dosing that. Now i dose every 3-4 neophos by brightwell as well to keep phosphate low. I feed daily frozen. I dont overfeed. I use like 1 cube for 2 weeks if not more sometimes.
Unfortunately we are not aware of neonitro ingredients, there is some speculation that it may contain some organic forms of nitrogen as earlier inorganic forms of nitrates like ammonium. In my opinion some of this forms of nitrogen may be used by the Cyanobacteria.

A option to start the outcompete process at this point could be by dosing live phytoplankton, 1ml per gallon at light on and midday if possible, if not at light on would be just fine.

I would encourage you to dose some nitrifying bacteria dr Tim’s one and only (follow bottle directions for your tank volume) could be a option and a product like MB7 (follow bottle directions for dosing accordingly your volume of tank water)

The Live phytoplankton on its own can do the same work as both bacterial products I’ve recommended although the usage of the bacterial products could strengthen your biological filter as Live phytoplankton works differently on the outcompete process.

how all this works is by:

live phytoplankton: wile live in the tank will compete with Cyanobacteria for nitrogen forms like (ammonia) once the phytoplankton perish in the system the carbohydrates content will stimulate the heterotrophic bacteria present in the system to reduce organic matter before they become available in the system as ammonia.

nitrifying bacteria: aids the competition for ammonia

MB7: heterotrophic bacteria and organic carbon that will aid the bacteria at reducing organic nutrient before they become ammonia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back