Cyano or diatoms?

etork

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

My tank is 3 months old. 75gal display, with 4 fish and about 12 snails (plus one conch snail).

I know we are in for the ugly stage, but wondering if this amount is normal and if its good ol diatoms, or cyano? Blows off sand bed easily. Covering almost entire sand bed, and comes back withing 1-2 days after vacuuming sand.

Parameters are:
Alk @ 7.3
PH @ 8.4
Phosphates @ 0 (has not ever gone up, and know it shouldn't be that low but not sure how to fix)
Nitrates @ 8

I'm willing to be patient if its normal but don't want to be dismissive if something else is going on.

TY

20201007_192439.jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely see some cyano. I think diatoms as well. Just be patient. Regular water changes. It'll iron itself out. Just don't go dumping a bunch of snake oil products in there trying to fix things

OP
OP
etork

etork

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely see some cyano. I think diatoms as well. Just be patient. Regular water changes. It'll iron itself out. Just don't go dumping a bunch of snake oil products in there trying to fix things
Thank you. I firmly believe that dumping in more stuff to be a quick fix isn't the answer 99% of the time. Just wanted to make sure i am not missing something. I am trying to redirect some flow at the sand bed, and just keep nutrients stable. And I guess try to ride this out!

Back