Cyano or Dino? Chemiclean didn’t do much

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the full story :
Old 55g tank had ich from the last fish I added (I was new and didn’t know better)

I upgraded to a new 125g tank.
Saw some cyano in the old tank so I let it spread until I took out all the fish so I can treat them before putting them in the new tank.

I used chemiclean in the old tank with an air stone, took all the fish out beforehand, only treated once all the fish were out and I left the corals and inverts. Tank was like 4 months old.

i always felt iffy about chemicals so I slightly ubderdosed chemiclean which took away most of the cyano signs and somehow the green on my rocks. The green was bubbling assuming cyano covered it and the bubbles couldn’t escape.
2 days after dosing, I did the wc and added carbon and then dark green almost brown hair started forming pretty much instantly. 2 days after that the “cyano” was back and the lfs said I should redo chemiclean properly. I still underdosed slightly (maybe?) I put the 45g dose since the tank wasn’t filled to the brim and I had some rocks.
The problem is that the “cyano” made strings on some parts of the tank and I can’t find much info online.
I took most of the strings, been 3 days since the 2nd treatment cuz there was still signs of cyano (I’m also overwhelmed with some fish in QT and the new tank)

Rocks are still covered in the cyano like stuff now after the 3rd day of chemiclean (not super covered but starting to form again) I spoke to an experienced buddy without giving him too much detail other than chemiclean didn’t work and the strings and he said it’s dino. I’m here for a 2nd opinion.

Main question is, should I just transfer the rocks in the old tank? I wanted to let fallow but got a powerful UV in the meantime for the new tank.
His opinion is to leave it alone and transfer the rocks in the new tank. Anyone else has advice?
Some corals are closing up from this stuff and I turkey baster them daily to try and take off as much as I can and suck out what I can.

should I just let things be as it’s part of the ugly phase? Any danger to corals? Waiting for things to stabilize in the old tank seems counterintuitive since the new tank only has dry rocks on half of it, the plan was to put my old rocks on the 2nd half with most of them being dry for a month but the ones with coral on them and feather dusters are still in the old tank. New tank has 0 corals yet.

Any advice is appreciated. I know my post is long and I could go on and on about it. Tried to keep it short.

kutcha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my experience with cyano is I generally have to do the second dose as well before I do my water changes and carbon I have gone 5 days of using chemiclean before just make sure your air pump has a good air stone on it to keep dissolved O2 in the tank shouldn't hurt anything just do a large water change at the end of the week and turn the carbon on then finally retune your skimmer.

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my experience with cyano is I generally have to do the second dose as well before I do my water changes and carbon I have gone 5 days of using chemiclean before just make sure your air pump has a good air stone on it to keep dissolved O2 in the tank shouldn't hurt anything just do a large water change at the end of the week and turn the carbon on then finally retune your skimmer.
So it’s not dangerous to do it for longer? There’s no fish in the tank and I broke my skimmer. Debating if I should just transfer the old rocks and call it a day

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no it is actually recommended to do it twice
Turns out it was cyano and dinos. 2nd treatment was for nothing since only dino took over. It was confirmed by my friend who struggled with it in the past then my lfs when I sent them pics.

the strings gave it away. I try to remove as much as possible but they keep forming. Less aggressively now tho

Attachments

• EB7E1735-3C28-4EC6-875C-74C5DCC757D1.jpeg
    EB7E1735-3C28-4EC6-875C-74C5DCC757D1.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 152057BB-50F3-4617-8955-D1C6A06CE50F.jpeg
    152057BB-50F3-4617-8955-D1C6A06CE50F.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 352BB223-D58F-4092-ABAE-03879637C8F4.jpeg
    352BB223-D58F-4092-ABAE-03879637C8F4.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 71
  • 88A196BD-49FE-441D-A51F-DA8F03085CDA.jpeg
    88A196BD-49FE-441D-A51F-DA8F03085CDA.jpeg