Cyano outbreak for months

Tom-nanoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, in the past few months I have been struggling with a cyano/algae outbreak. A few months ago, in march, I used to over feed my tank and that is what I believe might have les to the issue. A few months ago, a huge amount of cyano appeared and started completely covering my tank, a month or 2 after that, green film algae shared the spot, and now I have bubble algae and hair algae as well. Anytime I introduce coral, algae and coraline grows right over them. I have done many water changes, introduced phosphogen and carbon, and cleaned the tank during the water changes. Barely any improvement. Recently, in the past month I have gotten an explosion in coralline algae (most likely due to more stable conditions). Is there any way I can remove this algae so I can get corals again?

I have one clownfish, 3 nerite snails, 3 ceriths, 6 hermits.
It seems like my alkalinity has been low in the past few months, I’ve recently began dosing it to get to normal levels.

image.jpg

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing that worked for me was GFO. Wiped it out almost immediately. I was running high phosphates due to heavy feeding as well.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is totally about dissolved organics. The bacteria can obtain the N&P it needs from it. The bacteria also needs light. The key to beating this pest is reducing dissolved organics and, for a while. light. Do a 50% water change & suck out as much of the Cyano as you can in the process, add a bunch of GAC (in a reactor if possible), skim wetter if you can. This reduces the dissolved organic content of the water. Then turn out the lights for several days. When you turn the lights back on, watch for recurring Cyano and turn them off as soon as you see it start to grow.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I’m using, phosphates consistently test zero, nitrates 2
Started using exactly the same and it fixed my cyano with a couple of days! I test near zero on both nitrates (Red Sea) and phosphates (Hanna)

OP
OP
T

Tom-nanoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do a reboot, rip clean. Check on here for a thread by @brandon429 which will give you the necessary steps.
I would do one of these but I’ve grown quite fond of my tank, I removed my carbon to see if it affects anything (left phosphogen in there), if it doesn’t work I’m going to wait a few weeks and then try cyano eating bacteria.

OP
OP
T

Tom-nanoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do one of these but I’ve grown quite fond of my tank, I removed my carbon to see if it affects anything (left phosphogen in there), if it doesn’t work I’m going to wait a few weeks and then try cyano eating bacteria.
I have some coralline in there that has just started to grow again (I had a system crash in January) and it will probably out compete it in a few months/a year

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back