Cyano outbreak :(

Rangachick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having ongoing issues with cyano.

Our tank is a Red Sea 350 (250 litres in display tank and remainder in sump). Current parameters are:

Ph: 8.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10ppm
25 litre water change performed weekly.
Thanks to a dubious digital hydrometer, I thought my salt content was a little low however after purchasing a Red Sea refractometer it appears that salinity is in fact too high! We are working to correct this slowly over the next week or so.

Also have a skimmer that is hard at work.

It doesn't seem to matter what we do, as soon as we have vacuumed this stuff up, it is growing back within hours. I have read on many threads and forums that cyano is common in new tanks and settles over time, but I am not sure that our outbreak is "normal" (see photo - looks pretty bad to me!). Would it be best to to persist with water changes and shorter lighting periods or would it be better to go down the chemical path to get rid of it?
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 3.00.35 pm.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see a lot of coral. Cyano likes light and calm water. Increase your flow and turn down the lights. In this case blue is better than white light.

OP
OP
Rangachick

Rangachick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see a lot of coral. Cyano likes light and calm water. Increase your flow and turn down the lights. In this case blue is better than white light.
Thanks - you are correct. No coral so far, only fish, clean up crew and a star fish.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would save chemicals for last ditch effort, Chemiclean will work but it’s also killing off beneficial bacteria at the same time. Try holding off on doing water changes for a while, it’s been my experience that can make it even worse.. there also seem to be a link to nutrient imbalance that kicks this stuff off, do you know your phosphate numbers? As others have said get your flow up, cut white light back and I would change out your mechanical filtration frequently.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rangachick

Rangachick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would save chemicals for last ditch effort, Chemiclean will work but it’s also killing off beneficial bacteria at the same time. Try holding off on doing water changes for a while, it’s been my experience that can make it even worse.. there also seem to be a link to nutrient imbalance that kicks this stuff off, do you know your phosphate numbers? As others have said get your flow up, cut white light back and I would change out your mechanical filtration frequently.
Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to turn my lights of for the next few days. I'll need to do some small water changes each day until I get my salinity levels back to where they should be but will hold off after that. In regard to changing out mechanical filtration, would you suggest a daily change (I have a Red Sea tank and it hold two socks in the sump) - just rinse and replace?
Thanks again :)

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to turn my lights of for the next few days. I'll need to do some small water changes each day until I get my salinity levels back to where they should be but will hold off after that. In regard to changing out mechanical filtration, would you suggest a daily change (I have a Red Sea tank and it hold two socks in the sump) - just rinse and replace?
Thanks again :)

just keep an eye on them but replacing them more frequently wouldn’t be a bad idea, you can just rinse them off and replace. it’s also nice to have a bunch of extras on hand to swap out and then you can wash a batch of them at the same time.

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Manual removal, siphon substrate
2.a dd chemiclean follow directions, remove carbon, gfo, chemipure etc, turn skimmer to wet skim.
3. Black out 48 hours
4. Do a 20-30% wc
5. Replace carbon, gfo, chemipure etc and reset skimmer to normal

Got rid of mine WITH corals in it.

SamAPFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank new? If it is then this is pretty common and will go away just from sucking it up during a water change. I would be a little more concerned if your tank is a couple years old

pixelbit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the worst cyano outbreak that lasted for well over a year. I did a few things that helped:
  1. Increased water change frequency and how much is changed
  2. Installed a refugium with chaeto
  3. Removed detritus from sump
  4. Increased water flow
I think #1 and #2 were the biggest factors for me. Since installing the refugium I was able to reduce the volume of water changed, but I still perform one every two weeks.

OP
OP
Rangachick

Rangachick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo....a few days later and after lights out and some small water changes each day, the cyano outbreak seems to have abated. Have a crystal clear tank again for the moment. Thanks so much for all of your advice and help. This is a great community :)

Back